Kinematics of a thrown football - Find the path

In summary, the quarterback throws a football at 25 m/s at a certain angle above the horizontal and it takes the ball 3.2 s to reach the top of its path. If there is no air resistance, the ball would stay at the same velocity the entire time. The total time the ball is in the air is 6.4 seconds, with 3.2 seconds going up and 3.2 seconds coming down.
itsmarasilly
- A quarterback throws a football at 25 m/s at a certain angle above the horizontal. If it took the ball 3.2 s to reach the top of its path, how long was it in the air?

- I have absolutely no idea how to do this :(

Physics news on Phys.org

I could be wrong, but if there is no air resistance, then the ball would stay at the same velocity the entire time...

>_> Woops. I didn't notice you were asking about the time...
<_<

Last edited:

hahhaha I think I know this one. It takes the exact amount of time for the ball to go up and to come down so just 3.2 x 2 I believe. but it sounds a bit too easy...

^ that was right, thank you so much!

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the causes of motion.

2. How is the path of a thrown football determined?

The path of a thrown football is determined by the initial velocity, angle of release, and the effects of gravity and air resistance.

3. What is the difference between distance and displacement in kinematics?

Distance refers to the total length traveled by an object, while displacement refers to the shortest distance between the initial and final positions of the object.

4. How does air resistance affect the path of a thrown football?

Air resistance, also known as drag, acts in the opposite direction of motion and can cause the football to slow down and deviate from its initial path.

5. Can the path of a thrown football be predicted accurately?

While the path of a thrown football can be predicted using mathematical equations and principles of kinematics, it may be affected by external factors such as wind and air resistance, making it difficult to predict with 100% accuracy.