Kinematics of Linear Motion: Solving Problems with Constant Acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with finding the velocity of a parachutist after free falling 60m. The initial velocity, final velocity, acceleration, and time are all given for the free fall segment, and the conversation includes a discussion on how to find the correct equation to solve for the final velocity. The conversation also addresses the speed of the parachutist at the end of the fall and the need to break the motion into segments with constant acceleration. Finally, the conversation ends with the original poster thanking the respondents for their help in solving the problem.
freshbox

Homework Statement

a.jpg

I am unable to solve part b and please help me check whether is there anything wrong with my graph..:redface:

The Attempt at a Solution

graph.jpg

Segment A
Vi=0
V=3
S=60
a=9.81

v=vi+at
3=0+9.8(t)
t=0.305s

Segment B
Vi=3
V=0
a=-2

v=vi+at
0=3-2t
t=1

t=1+0.305=wrong answer :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you should draw the diagram roughly to scale.
The free fall acceleration should be 9.8m/s2 Thus in 1 sec. the velocity should be changing from 0 to 9.8m/s.

As you see from the graph the area first triangle is equal to 60m.
From simple formula of triangle you find the height(the velocity)

From your diagram the time= 40 sec(60=1/2vt). which wrong. After 40 sec. the velocity will be more than 3m/s.

azizlwl: So the tip of my triangle should have abit of curve?

Astronuc: Which of my velocity is incorrect? The 2 website that you listed is for me to check my answer?

First try to find all the variables in segment A.
Acceleration=?
Displacement=?
Initial velocity=?
final velocity =?
Time taken=?

What equation should you use to find the final velocity if you have the values of acceleration and displacement?

Segment A
Vi=0
V=3
S=60
a=9.81

v=vi+at
3=0+9.8(t)
t=0.305s

What equation should you use to find the final velocity if you have the values of acceleration and displacement?

I would use v^2 = vi^2 +2as

freshbox said:
Segment A
Vi=0
V=3
S=60
a=9.81

v=vi+at
3=0+9.8(t)
t=0.305s
I assume segment A is the free fall segment. The 3 m/s is the final speed at the end of segment B--it has nothing (directly) to do with segment A.

I would use v^2 = vi^2 +2as
That's the equation you need to figure out the final speed at the end of segment A.

Hey Doc Al, thanks for answering :)

"The parachute opens he experiences a deceleration of 2m/s^2 until he reaches the ground with a velocity of 3m/s"

Shouldn't it be 3m/s at the start of segment B and Final V = 0 since all things that reach the ground should have 0 speed because it has landed:redface:

So if you are saying "The 3 m/s is the final speed at the end of segment B" that means my velocity time graph is wrong already.:cry:

freshbox said:
"The parachute opens he experiences a deceleration of 2m/s^2 until he reaches the ground with a velocity of 3m/s"

Shouldn't it be 3m/s at the start of segment B and Final V = 0 since all things that reach the ground should have 0 speed because it has landed:redface:
No. When they say that it reaches the ground with some speed, they mean speed just before it hits. (Once it hits the ground other forces come into play, but we don't care about that motion.)
So if you are saying "The 3 m/s is the final speed at the end of segment B" that means my velocity time graph is wrong already.:cry:
That's exactly what I'm saying.

The first step is to correctly find the speed at the end of segment A (which will also be the speed at the beginning of segment B).

Sorry i want to ask a stupid question. How do you see if the question has segments in it?

Last edited:
gg.jpg

Doc Al, can you help me take a look at my velocity time graph.. I think it's wrong because it looks abit weird to me :redface: The circle part i don't know where to end it since the question says reaches the ground with a 3/ms So it cannot be 0m/s. And the initial velocity is 0 so my point has to stopped there. Is it right?

PS: Btw i managed to solved this question thanks to you...:eek:

freshbox said:
Sorry i want to ask a stupid question. How do you see if the question has segments in it?
One way is to ask yourself if you can describe the motion with a single acceleration (and thus a single equation). Here you are told that the acceleration changes, so it makes sense to break the motion into constant acceleration segments.

freshbox said:
Doc Al, can you help me take a look at my velocity time graph.. I think it's wrong because it looks abit weird to me :redface: The circle part i don't know where to end it since the question says reaches the ground with a 3/ms So it cannot be 0m/s. And the initial velocity is 0 so my point has to stopped there. Is it right?
Looks fine to me except that you can make it a bit closer to scale. The final speed is 3 m/s, but compare its height above the zero mark with the 34.31 m/s height. Other than that, it's good.
PS: Btw i managed to solved this question thanks to you...
Yay! Good work.

Thanks, thanks a lot for taking your time to help me.:approve:
Thanks to azizlwl & Astronuc too!:tongue:

What is kinematics of linear motion?

Kinematics of linear motion is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects along a straight line.

What are the basic quantities used to describe linear motion?

The basic quantities used to describe linear motion are displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

What is displacement?

Displacement is the change in position of an object from its initial position to its final position, measured in a straight line.

What is velocity?

Velocity is the rate of change of displacement over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. It is also a vector quantity and can be either positive (speeding up) or negative (slowing down).