How Does Particle Acceleration Affect Position and Total Distance Traveled?

In summary, it is known from the conversation that the acceleration of a particle is inversely proportional to the cube of time. When t=2, v=-15, and when t=10, v=0.36. Knowing this, determine the position of the particle at time t=2 and t=10.
teng125
it is known from t=2 to t=10 the accelareation of a particle is inversely proportional to the cube of time t.when t=2, v=-15 and when t=10 ,v=0.36.knowing that the particle is twice as far from the origin when t=2 and t=10,determine the position of the particle when t=2 and t=10

the answer is 35.2 and 17.6.
pls help...thank you...

Physics news on Phys.org
And your work so far?

i have try to find the eqn using a=1/(t^3) and integrate to become s but i found the eqn wrong.so i have no idea where to get the eqn

Inversely proportional in this case means that there exists a constant c, so that [itex]a*t^{3}=c[/itex], where a denotes the acceleration, and t denotes time.
See if this helps you.

then i integrate it and get s=c/2t.is this the eqn??

no,i still can't find the result

I think you're ignoring your velocity information.

may i know which eqn to use??

I think you were on the right track, but you have to remember that each time you integrate there is an added constant (+ C).

however,i still can't solve the problem...
is there anybody who manage to solve this problem pls...

[tex]a = kt^{-3} = \ddot{x} = \frac{dv}{dt}[/tex]

Integrate this to get

[tex]v = \int^{t} kT^{-3}dT + C = -k\frac{t^{-2}}{2} + C[/tex]

Use your two initial conditions to work out the values of k and C. Integrate again to give you an expression for x, and use the condition you're given on the distances to work out what the constant of integration for the distance integral is. Then you have your equation for the position in terms of time.

i have got the eqn for the x but what is the meaning of (knowing that the particle is twice as far from the origin when t=2)??

So you can figure out what the constant is.

What do you have at this point?

i can't figure out because i don't know what is the meaning of the sentence...can u pls tell me

teng125 said:
knowing that the particle is twice as far from the origin when t=2 and t=10
I assume this means: at time t=2 the particle is twice as far from the origin as it is at time t=10.

Derive that
x(t)=64/t+t+6/5

The sentence means x(2) = 2*x(10). This will lead you to the answer balakrishnan_v has posted.

twice as far from the origin as it is at time t=10.what does it means??

then,for part b)the total distance traveled by the particle from t=2s to t=10s??plsssss

the answer is 18.4

pls help...

teng125 said:
twice as far from the origin as it is at time t=10.what does it means??
Read my post above yours, and I give the equation that it means, which means all you have to do is put in the equation you have for x(t), put in the relevant values of t and solve for the constant of integration.

then,for part b)the total distance traveled by the particle from t=2s to t=10s??plsssss

the answer is 18.4

for this second part i can't do

1. What is kinematics of particles?

Kinematics of particles is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of particles, including their position, velocity, and acceleration. It is concerned with describing and analyzing the motion of individual particles without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What are the three basic equations of kinematics?

The three basic equations of kinematics are displacement (Δx = xf - xi), velocity (v = (xf - xi)/t), and acceleration (a = (vf - vi)/t). These equations can be used to calculate the position, velocity, and acceleration of a particle at any given time.

3. How is kinematics related to dynamics?

Kinematics and dynamics are closely related, as both are branches of classical mechanics. While kinematics focuses on the motion of particles, dynamics takes into account the forces that cause the motion. Kinematics provides the foundation for understanding and solving problems in dynamics.

4. What is projectile motion and how is it related to kinematics?

Projectile motion refers to the motion of an object that is launched into the air and moves under the influence of gravity. It is related to kinematics as it involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of the projectile over time using the basic equations of kinematics.

5. How is kinematics used in real-world applications?

Kinematics has many real-world applications, including in the fields of engineering, robotics, and sports. It is used to design and analyze the motion of machines and vehicles, such as cars and airplanes. In robotics, kinematics is used to program and control the movements of robots. In sports, kinematics is used to analyze the movements of athletes and improve their performance.