Kinematics of rocket - calculate total hang time

In summary, The conversation was about a class experiment where an air rocket was launched and the hang time was measured. The task was to find the velocity at liftoff with only the time given. There are 4 equations to choose from and the final one used was v_ = v_i - a t. By plugging in the given values, the velocity at liftoff was determined to be 34.3 m/s.
physicsphreak123
For a class expierement we went outside and watched an air rocket launch into the air, and measured the total hang time.

Only knowing the time, find the velcotiy at liftoff.

the time is 7 seconds, and i understand that at the maximun height the time is 3.5 seconds. I don't know which equation to use becuase i am not familar with knowing only one variable.

we have 4 equations to choos from.
D = v*t
Vf = Vi + a*t
D = Vi*t + 1/2 a * t
Vf squared = Vi squared +2*a*d

Can you help me ?

Physics news on Phys.org
v_ = v_i - a t

0 = v_i - 9.8 * 3.5

v_i = 34.3 m/s

Based on the information provided, it seems like you are trying to calculate the initial velocity (Vi) of the rocket at liftoff. To do this, you can use the equation Vf = Vi + a*t, where Vf is the final velocity (which is 0 at the maximum height) and a is the acceleration due to gravity (which is a constant value of -9.8 m/s^2).

So, using the given values of Vf = 0, t = 7 seconds, and a = -9.8 m/s^2, we can rearrange the equation to solve for Vi:

Vi = Vf - a*t
Vi = 0 - (-9.8 m/s^2 * 7 seconds)
Vi = 68.6 m/s

Therefore, the initial velocity of the rocket at liftoff is 68.6 m/s. Keep in mind that this is assuming that the rocket was launched vertically and there were no external forces acting on it.

I hope this helps and good luck with your experiment! Remember, science is all about experimenting and learning from the results, so even if your calculations may not be perfect, it's important to keep exploring and asking questions.

1. What is Kinematics in Rocket Science?

Kinematics in rocket science is the study of the motion of rockets, including their position, velocity, and acceleration. It involves using mathematical equations and principles to describe and analyze the movement of rockets.

2. How is total hang time calculated for a rocket?

Total hang time for a rocket can be calculated using the equation t = 2v/g, where t is the total hang time, v is the initial vertical velocity, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This equation assumes the rocket is launched vertically and neglects air resistance.

3. What factors affect the total hang time of a rocket?

The total hang time of a rocket can be affected by various factors such as the initial vertical velocity, the angle of launch, the mass of the rocket, and the presence of air resistance. The higher the initial velocity and the steeper the angle of launch, the longer the hang time will be. A heavier rocket or increased air resistance can decrease the hang time.

4. Can the total hang time of a rocket be longer than the time it takes to reach its maximum height?

Yes, the total hang time of a rocket can be longer than the time it takes to reach its maximum height. This is because the total hang time also includes the time it takes for the rocket to fall back to the ground.

5. How does altitude affect the total hang time of a rocket?

Altitude does not have a significant effect on the total hang time of a rocket. The equation used to calculate hang time assumes a constant acceleration due to gravity, which is not significantly affected by altitude. However, air resistance can increase at higher altitudes, which can slightly decrease the total hang time.