Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematics of two body decay

1. Apr 19, 2015 #1
    Hi there,

In a two body decay process like ## B \to l \nu ##, there is a factor ##| \bar{l} (1-\gamma_5)\nu|^2 ## in the matrix element amplitude, in which equals

##| \bar{l} (1-\gamma_5)\nu|^2 = (/\!\!\! p_l+m_l) (1-\gamma_5) /\!\!\! p_\nu(1+\gamma_5) = 2(/\!\!\! p_l+m_l) /\!\!\! p_\nu(1+\gamma_5) = 8 p_l. p_\nu ~##(1) , after taking the trace.

To evaluate (1) I set the process kinematics as

## p_l = ( E_l,\bf{p_l}) ## and ## p_\nu= ( E_\nu,- E_\nu) ##, where

## -E_\nu = -\bf{p_\nu} \equiv - \bf{p_l}, ~ \bf{p_l}^2= E_l^2 - m_l^2, ~ E_l =E_\nu = m_B/2##, then

## p_l. p_\nu = E_l E_\nu +\bf{p_l}^2 = 2E_l^2 - m_l^2 = m_B^2/ 2 - m_l^2 = m_B^2/ 2 ( 1 - \frac{2m_l^2}{m_B^2}) ##, so I got a factor
    ## ( 1 - \frac{2m_l^2}{m_B^2}) ##, while in references as [hep-ph/0306037v2] equ. 5, (1) gave a factor ## ( 1 - \frac{m_l^2}{m_B^2}) ## instead,
    So what's wrong I made?

Bests.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2015 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Let's start with the kinematics. In the rest frame of the decaying B meson you have
    $$p_l=(E_l,\vec{p}), \quad p_{\nu}=(E_{\nu},-\vec{p}).$$
    This means
    $$s=(p_l+p_{\nu})^2=m_{B}^2$$
    but
    $$s=m_B^2=m_l^2+m_{\nu}^2+2 p_l \cdot p_{\nu},$$
    which gives
    $$2 p_l \cdot p_{\nu}=m_B^2-m_l^2-m_{\nu}^2 \simeq m_B^2-m_l^2=m_B^2 \left (1-\frac{m_l^2}{m_B^2} \right).$$
    Your mistake is setting ##E_l## and ##E_{\nu}## equal. However the magnitudes of the momenta are equal, not the energies.

To get the cm. energies we use that
    $$s=m_l^2+m_{\nu}^2+2(E_l E_{\nu}+P^2)=m_l^2+m_{\nu}^2+2 (E_l \sqrt{s}-m_1^2) \; \Rightarrow \; E_l=\frac{m_B^2+m_l^2-m_{\nu}^2}{2m_B}.$$
    In the 2nd step we've used ##\sqrt{s}=E_1+E_2##. Exchanging the labels ##l## and ##\nu## in the above calculation gives
    $$E_{\nu}=\frac{m_B^2+m_{\nu}^2-m_{l}^2}{2m_B} \neq E_l.$$

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  4. Apr 19, 2015 #3
    Many thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook