Kinematics - One Dimension Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the maximum deceleration and reaction time of a typical automobile. The school board has set a speed limit in a school zone to ensure cars can stop within a distance of 4 m. The conversation includes attempts at solving the problem and asking for advice on how to improve understanding of the concept. Ultimately, the correct answer for the maximum allowed speed is 10.6 mi/hr and the fraction of the 4 m distance due to reaction time is 2.38 m. The correct solution involves using the kinematic equations and treating the problem in two separate movements.
antimatter1422
The problem is stated as follows:

A typical automobile has a maximum deceleration of about 7m/s^2; the typical reaction time to engage the brakes is 0.50 s. A school board sets the speed limit in a school zone to meet the condition that all cars should be able to stop in a distance of 4 m.
a) what maximum speed should be allowed for a typical automobile? (Answer = 10.6 m/hr)
b) what fraction of the 4 m is due to the reaction time (Answer = 2.38 m)

* Now i know that part b will be a piece of cake if i get part a. But whenever i do part a (its been several tries...) i get around 13.6 miles per hour, not 10.6.

* Also, it really irks me that i can't figure out these kinematics problems without any help. The book they come from is " Paul A. Tipler physics for scientists and engineers." This book shows the answers, but it doesn't show how they got the answers, so i can't learn how to do them.

* In conclusion, if anyone could point me in the right direction, i'd appreciate it. Also, does anyone know how to learn this stuff so i can do it on my own. I can draw out the situation, so i think i understand it conceptually. Is algebra skills holding me back (like setting the problem up, maybe that's where I am messing up). so should i just try more problems, may b easier so i can work my way up and do problems like these? or go back to the basic concepts?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
What I've got so far is as follows:

The first .5 s of the 4 m there is no acceleration (reaction time). So the distance of the first part of the 4 m traveled (lets say "x") is Vo/2. (From X = Xo + Vavg*t). The second part is where the acceleration is, and you are going to end up at rest. So the distance of the 2nd part of the 4m (let's say "4-x") is (Vo/2)*(t-.5s). If i re arrange this equation i get x = 4 - ((2Vo*t - Vo)/4). So i can set this x equal to Vo/2. I can simplify to get Vo = 16/(2t+3) , or t = (16 - 3*Vo)/(2Vo). If i go back to where t = .5 s and plug that in, i get Vo = 4 m/s. If i change 4m/s to mi/h, i get 8.948 mi/hr. NOT the right answer. (and I am not sure what i did different, but last time i got 13.67 mi/hr)

- What am i doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
CORRECTION :
Answer to part a) is not 10.6 m/hr. It is 10.6mi /hr

Why does it go from using meters, to using miles?

i guess to make the problem more realistic., because they are talking about the school zone speed limit (in the usa). but u should be able to just convert ur m/s in the end to mi/hr.

moose, if you worked it out, what did you get for you final answer to part a?

You error was in treating t as a variable rather than as a constant.
t is the time of the total journey and is fixed.
The eqn "Vo = 16/(2t+3)" is true only for a fixed value of t, not a variable one.

I found it easier to use the suvat eqn,

v² = u² - 2as

and treating it as two separate movements - one at constant speed (for 0.5 s) and the other at constant deceleration.

I got the right answer :)

antimatter1422 said:
So the distance of the 2nd part of the 4m (let's say "4-x") is (Vo/2)*(t-.5s).

Okay if x is the dist. traveled before braking then[tex] x = \frac {1}{2} V_o [/tex]

So dist. left to brake => 4 - x = 4 - [tex] \frac {1}{2} V_o [/tex]

If you then substitute this distance into your kinematic equations you should have some joy.

BTW, it helps when reading what people have posted if they don't squeeze all their calculations into one big paragraph.

Hope this helps :smile:

thanks

:biggrin: thanks everyone for your help. i got it.
ill remember the paragraph bit for next time :tongue:

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects over time.

2. What are one-dimensional problems in kinematics?

One-dimensional problems in kinematics involve the motion of objects along a straight line, such as a car moving on a highway or a ball rolling down a ramp. In these problems, only one coordinate, usually the x-coordinate, is considered.

3. How is displacement different from distance?

Displacement is a vector quantity that refers to the change in position of an object in a specific direction. It is different from distance, which is a scalar quantity that refers to the total amount of ground covered by an object, regardless of direction.

4. How is average velocity calculated in one-dimensional kinematics?

Average velocity is calculated by dividing the total displacement of an object by the total time it took to cover that displacement. It is a measure of the average rate at which an object changes its position over time.

5. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a scalar quantity that refers to the rate at which an object covers distance. It is the magnitude of velocity without considering direction. Velocity, on the other hand, is a vector quantity that refers to the rate at which an object changes its position in a specific direction.