When Will the Package Hit the Ground?

In summary, the problem at hand involves finding the time it takes for a package to hit the ground when dropped from a hot-air balloon ascending at a rate of 10 m/s at a height of 84 m above the ground. The equation Yf = Vot + (1/2)at^2 is initially considered, with known variables of a=-9.8 m/s^2, Vo = 10m/s, and Yf=84m. However, to solve for time, the quadratic equation must be used, as t is a function of velocity and position. The overall approach to the problem is correct, with the only difficulty being with algebra.
ATranPV

Homework Statement

A hot-air balloon is ascending at the rate of 10 m/s at a height of 84 m above the ground when a package is dropped.

Find time it took to hit the ground

Find Final velocity

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Initially, I am inclined to use the equation Yf = Vot + (1/2)at^2

I know that a=-9.8 m/s^2
Vo = 10m/s
Yf=84m

With four variables and 3 are known, I can find time.

The part I am having trouble with is setting up the equation where time is a function of velocty and position (where as t=something)

Am I even approaching this problem correctly? Any help will be much appreciated.
ATranPV

EDIT: Yes...my algebra sucks...:(

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: To solve for t, use the quadratic eaquation.

What is kinematics one vector problem?

Kinematics one vector problem is a type of physics problem that involves the analysis of the motion of an object in one dimension, using only one vector to represent the motion.

What are the basic principles of kinematics one vector problem?

The basic principles of kinematics one vector problem include displacement, velocity, and acceleration. Displacement is the change in position of an object, velocity is the rate of change of displacement, and acceleration is the rate of change of velocity.

How do I solve a kinematics one vector problem?

To solve a kinematics one vector problem, you need to first identify the known values, such as initial and final positions, and use the basic principles of kinematics to find the missing values. This can be done using equations such as v = u + at (where v is final velocity, u is initial velocity, a is acceleration, and t is time) or s = ut + 1/2at^2 (where s is displacement).

What are some common examples of kinematics one vector problems?

Some common examples of kinematics one vector problems include calculating the distance traveled by a car in a specific amount of time, finding the speed of a ball rolling down a ramp, or determining the acceleration of an object falling from a certain height.

What are the applications of kinematics one vector problem in real life?

Kinematics one vector problems have many applications in real life, including in sports (such as calculating the trajectory of a basketball shot), transportation (such as designing efficient routes for delivery trucks), and engineering (such as designing roller coasters or analyzing the movement of robots).