How Do You Calculate Rocket Acceleration and Speed in Kinematics?

In summary, in this problem we are given the mass and motion of a weather rocket launched straight up. We are asked to find the rocket's acceleration during its first 14 seconds of motion and its speed as it passes through a cloud 5000 m above the ground. To solve this, we can use the kinematic equations and assume that the initial velocity is 0. By finding expressions for the distance traveled in each part of the motion and setting their sum equal to 5000 m, we can solve for the unknown acceleration "a".
dopey

Homework Statement

A 1000 kg weather rocket is launched straight up. The rocket motor provides a constant acceleration for 14 s, then the motor stops. The rocket altitude 18 s after launch is 5000 m. You can ignore any effects of air resistance.
(a) What was the rocket's acceleration during the first 14 _______m/s^2?

(b) What is the rocket's speed as it passes through a cloud 5000 m above the ground?
______m/s

Homework Equations

Tried using the kinematic equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't understand how you can apply the kinematic equations when you don't know the acceleration, it just says it was constant. i know whatever acceleration it is, it is going to be minused from the gravitational acceleration, and you can use the t=14 and t=18 and the x=5000m at t=18. My teacher told me to draw a graph and interpret it, or use the kinematic equations multiple times. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
dopey said:
or use the kinematic equations multiple times.
That's what I'd do.

Hint: Call the unknown acceleration "a". Now use the kinematic equations to find expressions for the distance travel during both parts of the motion in terms of "a". (What's the speed of the rocket at the end of the first part of the motion in terms of "a"?) You know that the total distance must add to 5000 m; use that fact to solve for "a".

(Since this is a physics question, not a calculus question, I will move this thread.)

ya sorry, well I am in calc based physics and u can apply calculus to this problem by drawing a graph and interpreting the area under the curve (integral) or slope of the line (derivative), so i was seeking some input in that direction.

As for apply the kinematice equation of x=v(initial)t+.5at^2, for the first part, you will have more than one variable. As you said put the speed in terms of "a", are you implying to solve for another equation and substitute, just a little more elaboration would be greatly appreciated.

sorry bout putting it in calculus, i was thinking it was calculus based physics i didnt read underneath it, my apologies

dopey said:
As for apply the kinematice equation of x=v(initial)t+.5at^2, for the first part, you will have more than one variable. As you said put the speed in terms of "a", are you implying to solve for another equation and substitute, just a little more elaboration would be greatly appreciated.
For the first part of the motion, you can assume that the rocket is launched with an initial speed of 0. So the only unknown is the acceleration.

Now try and figure out an expression for the distance traveled during the second part of the motion. Hint: Find the speed at t = 14 s in terms of "a".

even assuming that velocity initial is 0, if u plug it into any equation you still don't know (delta)x or the final velocity so there will be 2 unknowns.

for the second part, trying to solve for the speed in terms of "a" using the final velocity= initial velocity+a(delta)t would be 14a, and do i plug that in the the (delta)x kinematic formula and solve for "a", then subtract gravity, or do u express 5000-(delta)x to give u that height at t=14, I've tried everything I've only got 1 more shot at it.

dopey said:
even assuming that velocity initial is 0, if u plug it into any equation you still don't know (delta)x or the final velocity so there will be 2 unknowns.
So far, for the first part you have:
[tex]x_1 = 1/2 a t^2 = 1/2 a (14)^2[/tex]

You'll be combining x_1 with x_2 (the distance traveled in the second part of the motion), so their sum is a known quantity.

for the second part, trying to solve for the speed in terms of "a" using the final velocity= initial velocity+a(delta)t would be 14a, and do i plug that in the the (delta)x kinematic formula and solve for "a", then subtract gravity, or do u express 5000-(delta)x to give u that height at t=14, I've tried everything I've only got 1 more shot at it.
You found the speed at t = 14s. Good! Hint: Find the speed at t = 18s and use it to find the average speed for part 2. Then you can get an expression for x_2 in terms of "a".

Then use:
[tex]x_1 + x_2 = 5000[/tex]

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects as they move through space and time.

2. What are the three basic quantities in kinematics?

The three basic quantities in kinematics are position, velocity, and acceleration. Position refers to the location of an object in space. Velocity is the rate at which an object's position changes over time. Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time.

3. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of both the speed and direction of an object's motion. In other words, velocity takes into account the direction of an object's movement, while speed does not.

4. How is acceleration calculated in kinematics?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in an object's velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the equation a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

5. What is the difference between average and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement of an object divided by the total time it takes to travel that distance. Instantaneous velocity, on the other hand, is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time. It can be calculated by finding the slope of the tangent line on a position-time graph at a given point.