When and where will two bikers meet?

In summary, the problem involves two bikers starting at different towns and traveling at different speeds. To find when and where they will meet, two equations can be set up and equated to each other. Alternatively, a single equation can be used to represent the distance between the two bikers and the time when they meet is when this distance is equal to zero.
seanspan

Homework Statement

There are two towns that are 20km apart. A biker leaves town#1 traveling at 20km/h and at the same time another biker leaves town#2 traveling at 15km/h. Where and when will they meet?
Given
d=20km between 2 towns
V biker 1=20km/h
V biker 2=15km/h

Homework Equations

d=v1t+1/2at^

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that you have to somehow make two equations and make them equal to each other and then solve for d and sub it into one of the equations to solve for t but I am having trouble starting please help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Think of what will be equal for both bikers when they meet. Is the distance they've traveled the same? The time perhaps?

well the time will be equal i know that I am just having trouble with how to set it up. I assume you have to make 2 equations and then make them equal to each other I am just not sure what the equations should be.

Correct, you'll have two equations that you'll need to equate. But, the applicable equation really should be the general form d = d0 + v0t + 1/2at2 where d0 represents the initial distance (i.e. postion) at t=0 with respect to a chosen coordinate system/origin. For example, if you choose the origin to be the initial starting point of the 1st biker, then d0 = 0 for the 1st biker. Using the same origin, think about what d0 would be for the 2nd biker and what happens over time. In the end, you want to find the time at which both bikers are in the same position (with respect to the same orgin), and from that you can find the location. When you write the equations, be careful to use the correct sign for each term based on the origin and direction of postive distance that you choose.

A different (and perhaps easier) approach would be to write a single equation that represents the distance between the two bikers. The time you are looking for is the time at which the distance between them is zero.

Last edited:

What is kinematics in physics?

Kinematics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects in order to understand their movement.

What is the difference between distance and displacement?

Distance is the total length traveled by an object, while displacement is the straight-line distance between an object's initial and final position. Displacement takes direction into account, while distance does not.

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is the rate at which an object covers distance, while velocity is the rate at which an object changes its position. Velocity takes direction into account, while speed does not.

How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. It is often expressed in units of meters per second squared (m/s²).

What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement divided by the total time, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity at a specific moment in time. Average velocity is the average rate of change, while instantaneous velocity is the exact rate of change at a specific point.