Should I Attempt the Pass? Kinematics Problem on a Car

In summary, the conversation discusses the mathematical approach to determining if a driver should attempt to pass a truck on the highway. By setting the equations for the displacement of the truck and car equal to each other and solving for time, the driver can determine the time at which the car will pass the truck. However, this method does not take into account the distance needed to safely pass the truck and the potential risk of scaring an oncoming car. The conversation also mentions difficulties with using latex in the post.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

A car is behind a truck going 25 m/s on the highway. The car's driver looks for an oportunity to pass, guessing that his car can accelerate at 1.0 m/s^2. He gauges that he has to cover the 20 m length of the truck, plus 10 m clear room at the rear of the truck and 10 m at the front of it. In an oncoming lane, he sees a car approaching, probably also traveling at 25 m/s. He estimates that the car is about 400 m away. Should he attempt the pass?

I know the displacement of the truck is x = 25 m/s*t

and that the displacement of the car is x = 25 m/s*t + 1/2(1.0 m/s^2)t^2.

I have this feeling that I am suppose to set this two equations equal to each other, and then solve for time, which will give me the time the car passes the truck. But I can't seem to figure out why this is true. What does it mean, physically, setting these two equations together?

Also, I try to preview my post, but it won't display latex, so I don't even know if I typed it in correctly. How do I get around this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Am I perhaps looking too deeply into this? I just feel that I need logical justification so that I may not just remember that it's suppose to be this way, but I can use reason.

"I have this feeling that I am suppose to set this two equations equal to each other, and then solve for time, which will give me the time the car passes the truck."

If you set the two equations equal to one another and solve for time, you get zero for the time. The car has to travel a greater distance than the truck in the same amount of time.

The problem states nothing about how much the passer should clear the oncoming car. How badly does the passer want to scare the approaching car's driver? When you scare other drivers, their reactions are unpredictable.

I can see the latex when i preview the post. Do you type in the latex urself or use the Latex refernce?

I type it in myself, because there were some symbols I couldn't find.

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the study of motion and its causes without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. How is kinematics applied to a car?

Kinematics is applied to a car by analyzing its motion, such as its velocity, acceleration, and displacement, without taking into account the forces acting on the car, such as friction and air resistance.

3. What are the key parameters used in kinematics problems for a car?

The key parameters used in kinematics problems for a car include the car’s displacement, velocity, and acceleration. Other parameters that may be considered include time, position, and direction.

4. How can kinematics equations be used to solve problems related to a car's motion?

Kinematics equations, such as the equations for velocity, acceleration, and displacement, can be used to solve problems related to a car’s motion by plugging in known values and solving for unknown values. These equations can also be rearranged to solve for different variables.

5. What are some real-world applications of kinematics in the automotive industry?

Kinematics plays a crucial role in designing and testing cars for safety and performance. It is used to analyze the motion of different car parts, such as the wheels and suspension, and to optimize their performance. Kinematics is also used in crash testing to understand the impact of collisions on a car’s motion.