Finding Initial Velocity from Changes in Time and Distance

In summary, the conversation is about a problem that involves calculating the original speed of a car on a crowded freeway. The relevant equation is d=vt, where d is distance, v is velocity, and t is time. The initial speed is unknown and needs to be solved for using the given information about the change in time and speed. The equation vi=vf+a*t does not need to be used because acceleration is not given or requested.
insomniac950

Homework Statement

Driving along a crowded freeway, you notice that it takes a time t to go from one mile marker to the next. When you increase your speed by 8.4 mi/h, the time to go one mile decreases by 13 s. What was your original speed? So we know the question is asking for velocity.

Homework Equations

vi=vf+a*t

The Attempt at a Solution

I just can't seem to get the correct setup to solve this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Acceleration is neither given nor requested, so vi=vf+a*t doesn't need to be used. What you need is only d=vt. Write out d=vt for both the initial speed and the final speed (of course, you'll have to substitute the appropriate variables for d, v, t), solve the two equations, and you'll be done.

what am i supposed to put as my initial speed? I rearranged the equation and did t=v/d and got .615 for the speed given to me. Is my initial speed zero?

insomniac950 said:
what am i supposed to put as my initial speed? I rearranged the equation and did t=v/d and got .615 for the speed given to me. Is my initial speed zero?

The question asks for the initial speed, so it's an unknown. Call it "x", or "v".

By the way, t=d/v, not v/d. You also can't get 0.615 or any other value for t because v isn't given; you have to solve for it.

1. What is Kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It involves the study of position, velocity, and acceleration of an object.

2. How is Kinematics applied to diving?

Kinematics is applied to diving by analyzing the motion of the diver during their dive. This includes studying the diver's initial position, velocity, and acceleration as they enter the water, as well as their trajectory and final position in the water.

3. What are the key factors that affect the kinematics of a dive?

The key factors that affect the kinematics of a dive include the initial position and velocity of the diver, the angle and speed at which they enter the water, and the effects of air resistance and gravity on their motion.

4. How can kinematics be used to improve diving performance?

Kinematics can be used to improve diving performance by analyzing the motion of the diver and identifying areas for improvement. By adjusting their initial position, velocity, and angle of entry, a diver can optimize their trajectory and achieve a better overall dive.

5. What is the importance of understanding kinematics in diving?

Understanding kinematics in diving is important for both safety and performance reasons. By understanding the motion of the diver, coaches and athletes can identify potential risks and make necessary adjustments to prevent injury. It also allows divers to improve their technique and achieve better results in competitions.