Solving Kinematics Problem: Total Distance in Last Sec vs. 3 Secs

In summary, the stone falls freely from rest and the total distance covered by it in the last secon of its motion equals the distance covered by it in the fist 3 seconds of its motion. How long does the stone remain in air? 3 sec.
konichiwa2x
A stone falls freely from rest and the total distance covered by it in the last secon of its motion equals the distance covered by it in the fist 3 seconds of its motion.How long does the stone remain in air?

I got the answer as 3 secs but my book says it is 5 (much more logical too). Can someone help me please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Show your work, and then we can tell you where you went wrong.

Erm.. 3 sec is definitely not the correct ans. I don't think 5 sec sounds logical to me too. Well, wat level of education are you in? I tot it was quite a simple qn.<assuming there isn't any mistake in the qn u ask> Wat i did was 3+1=4 sec? My ans is 4 and i tot this was nothin to do wit kinematics.

gun, the problem never said that there was zero fall time
in between the first 3 seconds and the last 1 second ...
I got to class 3 seconds late today, and I closed my book during the last second of it. But there was close to an hour of class between them.

how fast is it going at the end of the first 3 seconds?

the first 3 seconds it covers a distance of [tex].5g3^2[/tex]
equate that to:
[tex].5gt^2-.5g(t-1)^2[/tex]
solve it, got
t=5

lightgrav said:
gun, the problem never said that there was zero fall time
in between the first 3 seconds and the last 1 second ...
I got to class 3 seconds late today, and I closed my book during the last second of it. But there was close to an hour of class between them.

how fast is it going at the end of the first 3 seconds?

Ooops.. Guess i misinterprete the qn.

konichi: You can get the "feel" for this by telling yourself the stone accelerates at around 10 meters per second.

In the first second its average speed is 5m/s, so it travels 5 meters.
In the second second it starts at 10m/s and ends at 20m/s so its average speed is 15m/s, so it covers 15m. In the third second it covers 25m. So in the first three seconds it covers 45m.
Moving on, it covers 35m in the fourth second, and... 45m in the fifth second. Aha!

Now you can apply the equations (see Tim Lou's post) and know whether the answer you come up with is in the right ball park.

Note that the .5 and the g cancel out because the rate of acceleration is academic, and what this question really is asking is "What number t squared, minus t-1 squared, equals 3 squared". It's

t2 - (t-1)2 = 9, which works out to
t2 - (t2 -2t + 1) = 9 which reduces to
2t - 1 = 9.

Last edited:
ok got it now! thanks everyone

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. How is total distance calculated in kinematics?

Total distance in kinematics is calculated by adding all the individual distances traveled in a given time period.

3. What is the significance of comparing total distance in the last second vs. 3 seconds in kinematics?

Comparing total distance in the last second vs. 3 seconds can give insight into the acceleration or deceleration of an object. If the total distance in the last second is greater than the total distance in 3 seconds, it indicates an increase in speed.

4. How do we solve kinematics problems involving total distance?

To solve kinematics problems involving total distance, we can use the formula d=vt, where d is the distance, v is the velocity, and t is the time.

5. Can kinematics be applied to both linear and circular motion?

Yes, kinematics can be applied to both linear and circular motion. However, the equations and concepts used may differ slightly between the two types of motion.