Solving Kinematics Problem: 2 Stones Dropped from 60-m Cliff

In summary, when solving this kinematics problem involving two stones being dropped from a cliff, you will need to use two equations and consider the change in time between the two stones. In this specific problem, the second stone will be 10.9 meters below the top of the cliff when the separation between the two stones is 36 meters, and you can use the kinematics equation x(t) = x + vt + (1/2)at^2 to solve for this.
superstorebug
I'm fairly new with this so I hope I've posted at the right place!

I don't understand how to go about doing the following kinematics problem:

Two stones are dropped from the edge of a 60-m cliff, the second stone 1.6s after the first. How far below the top of the cliff is the second stone when the separation between the two stones is 36 m?

I hope you can help because I have a quiz on this stuff tomorrow! Thanks in advance.

ANy help will be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is 10.9 meters...
but I'm still confused as how to get there...
I've used:
-g as my acceleration
1.6 as my change in time
but I'm not sure what to use for intial and final positon

...is it possible to do this using just one equation?

Last edited:
Hi,

Do you know of any of the kinematic equations that may be relevant here (maybe one that deals with displacement and there are only a few)?

And no, you cannot use a single equation ( you are going to have to use two equations, though they are both the same type of equation kinematic equation as noted from above)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm trying to use the following kinematics equation:

x(t)=x +vt +(1/2)at^2

Thats correct. Your flaw comes when you try to use 1.6 as the change in time as time is a variable.

Ok, I lied when I said that there you use only one form of an equation, there are two.

The one you defined is the one you should use first. If you set up two equations, you'll end up with X1 and X2.

However, the second stone is exactly 36 m behind the first. So you will get X2=X1 - 36.

Also, remember that the second stone was thrown 1.6 seconds after the first (t2=t1-1.6)

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the initial velocity of the stones?

The initial velocity of the stones is zero, as they are being dropped from rest.

2. How long does it take for the stones to reach the ground?

Using the equation t = √(2h/g), where h is the height of the cliff (60 m) and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), we can calculate the time it takes for the stones to reach the ground. In this case, it takes approximately 3.5 seconds for the stones to reach the ground.

3. What is the velocity of the stones just before they hit the ground?

According to the equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity (zero in this case), a is the acceleration (9.8 m/s²), and t is the time (3.5 seconds), we can calculate the final velocity of the stones just before they hit the ground. The final velocity of the stones is approximately 34.3 m/s.

4. How far apart will the stones land?

Since both stones are dropped at the same time and have the same initial vertical velocity, they will land at the same time and therefore have the same horizontal displacement. Using the equation x = vt, where x is the horizontal displacement, v is the horizontal velocity (which is constant at zero), and t is the time (3.5 seconds), we can calculate the horizontal displacement. In this case, the stones will land approximately 0 meters apart.

5. What is the acceleration of the stones as they fall?

The acceleration of the stones as they fall is constant and equal to the acceleration due to gravity, which is 9.8 m/s². This means that the stones are accelerating at a rate of 9.8 m/s every second they fall.