1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematics Problem

1. Jul 14, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There are two ships separated by a distance [tex]\gamma[/tex] along a straight coastline. Ship A starts moving perpendicularly to the coastline , and Ship B moves such that its velocity vector always point along the position of Ship A.
    Both ships move at same constant speed. After sufficient time, both the ships will move in a straight line with a constant separation. Find this separation.

First, i assumed the constant speed to be v
    and let, after time T, both of them move in a straight line.
    and let [tex]\theta[/tex] be the angle that the velocity vector of ship B makes with that of the other. ([tex]\theta[/tex] is variable from [itex]\pi / 2 \ \rightarrow \ 0 [/itex] ) . I feel [itex]tan\theta \ = \ \frac{\gamma}{vt}[/itex]

Then [tex]\gamma \ = \ v \ sin \theta \times T [/tex]
    and [tex]x \ = \ T (v-vcos \theta) [/tex]

x= constant separation when ships are in a straight line

The problem is, I am unable to get differential equations which i should. How do i convert the known data into differential form ?

Any help is appreciated
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2007 #2
    I don't know a lot about differential equations, but I will say that velocity is the derivative of x(t). If you can figure out the position, maybe you can solve for the T variable. Or perhaps you could work this out like an optimization problem?
  4. Jul 16, 2007 #3
    Any means of solving this apart from what I've tried ?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?