Calculating Elephant Seal's Displacement - Kinematics Problem

In summary, the elephant seal diving to a depth of 635 m also moves 590 m due east of its starting point. To find the magnitude of its displacement, use vector addition by finding vectors for the two separate displacements and adding them vectorally. You can use the formula a^2 + b^2 = c^2 to find the magnitude, and the direction can be found by taking the arctan of the ratio of the vertical and horizontal components. It is recommended to review notes and practice more physics problems to ensure accuracy.
shawonna23
In diving to a depth of 635 m, an elephant seal also moves 590 m due east of his starting point. What is the magnitude of the seal's displacement?

Would I just take the 590m and subtract if from 635m to get the answer?

Is the answer 45m?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pythagoras

Use vector addition for these types of problems. Find vectors for the two separate displacements and add them vectorally.

Yep, Pythagoras!

would I do this?

Take the Square root of 635^2 + 590^2 to get the answer?

shawonna23 said:
In diving to a depth of 635 m, an elephant seal also moves 590 m due east of his starting point. What is the magnitude of the seal's displacement?

Would I just take the 590m and subtract if from 635m to get the answer?

Is the answer 45m?

dont take my word for it(im not good at physics, lol), but this is how i think your suppose to do it:

x=590 (east)
y=-635 (south, cause it's diving and negative because it's south)

mag is just a^2+b^2=c^2
so... 590^2 + (-635)^2 = c^2

and direction is... arctan(y/x) = arctan (-635/590)

im trying to do as many physics problems as i can and reading over my notes agian this weekend(got a test this monday)

can anyone tell me if my work is correct?

Last edited:
That's okay but to be sure I'd follow Sirus's advice about vectors (read below).

Last edited:

What is displacement?

Displacement is a measure of the change in position of an object or body. It is calculated by subtracting the initial position from the final position.

How do you calculate displacement?

To calculate displacement, you need to know the initial position and the final position of the object or body. You subtract the initial position from the final position to determine the change in position, which is the displacement.

What is the equation for calculating displacement?

The equation for calculating displacement is: displacement = final position - initial position.

What is the unit of measurement for displacement?

The unit of measurement for displacement is typically meters (m) in the metric system or feet (ft) in the imperial system. However, it can also be measured in other distance units such as centimeters (cm) or kilometers (km).

How is displacement related to kinematics?

Displacement is one of the key concepts in kinematics, which is the study of motion of objects and bodies. In kinematics, displacement is used to describe the change in position of an object or body over a specific time interval.