Solve Kinematics Problem: Autographed Baseball Falling Off Desk

In summary, to solve this problem, you need to use the equation d=0.5gt^2 to find the time it takes for the baseball to hit the floor. Then, use the equation v=d/t with the distance of 0.41m and the time found in the first part to calculate the velocity of the ball before it fell off the desk.
hypoovenmitts

Homework Statement

An autographed baseball rolls off of a 1.2 m high desk and strikes the floor 0.41 m away from the desk. The acceleration of gravity is 9.81 m/s2 . How fast was it rolling on the desk before it fell off?
Answer in units of m/s.

Homework Equations

You might need to use
v^2=vi^2 + 2a(x-xi)
although I'm not really sure. :/

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to solve this when you're not given the velocity :( I just need someone to explain how to do this, because there's 3 problems on my homework exactly like it but with different numbers. Thank you~

Physics news on Phys.org
hypoovenmitts said:

Homework Equations

You might need to use
v^2=vi^2 + 2a(x-xi)
although I'm not really sure. :/
There are more equations than just that one for kinematics problems. Find an equation that involves time, which you can solve for. Figuring out how long it takes the ball to hit the floor will be a big first step in solving this problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to solve this when you're not given the velocity :( I just need someone to explain how to do this, because there's 3 problems on my homework exactly like it but with different numbers. Thank you~

hi ,

first, i try to get the t from the free fall equation d=.5gt^2, given d=1.2m and g=9.81 m/sec/sec. Once i get the t, i use this on the equation v = d/t, d = 0.41m and t from the first part.

1. What is Kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. How do you solve a kinematics problem?

To solve a kinematics problem, you need to identify the known and unknown variables, choose an appropriate kinematic equation, and use algebraic manipulation to solve for the unknown variable.

3. What is the equation for finding the position of a falling object?

The equation for finding the position of a falling object is x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at2, where x is the final position, x0 is the initial position, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How do you account for air resistance in a kinematics problem?

In most kinematics problems, air resistance is ignored because it is difficult to accurately calculate. However, if air resistance is a significant factor, it can be taken into account by using a more complex kinematic equation that includes a term for air resistance.

5. How can you use kinematics to solve the problem of an autographed baseball falling off a desk?

In this scenario, you can use the kinematic equation x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at2, where x is the final position (in this case, the height of the desk), x0 is the initial position (the height of the desk plus the height of the ball when it falls off), v0 is the initial velocity (in this case, 0), t is the time (which can be calculated using the equation t = √(2h/a), where h is the height of the desk and a is the acceleration due to gravity), and a is the acceleration due to gravity. By plugging in the known values and solving for x, you can determine the height of the desk that the ball fell from.