1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematics Problem

1. Feb 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A bird is coasting along in an easterly direction at 0.447 meters/sec when a strong wind from the south imparts a constant acceleration of 0.300 m/s2. If the acceleration from the wind lasts for 2.70 s, find the magnitude, r, and direction, θ, of the bird's displacement during this time period. (Hint: assume the bird is originally traveling in the +x direction)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am not sure which equations I am supposed to use in this problem, or where to begin. I am very confused

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2012 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

This problem is very similar to projectile motion.

To explain.

If we consider a projectile from the point of maximum height.
    It is subjected to a constant acceleration, perpendicular to the initial motion.

Don't forget that for the displacement, you only have to know the initial and final position, not the length of the path followed to get there.

The bird will have covered a Easterly displacement - constant speed for 3 seconds.
    The bird will also have covered a Northerly diplacement - accelerating at a constant rate in that direction.
    Add those two components vectorially and you have the answer you seek.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook