Solve Kinematics Problem: Dropped Object from Tower Height

• Thread starter Smile101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary: You're right, it makes no sense to me. You're also right that it would take over an hour to travel 50km at 40km/hr.
Smile101

Homework Statement

An object is dropped from a tower. If it had been thrown down at 60m/s, it would have taken half the time. What is the height of the tower? (acceleration is 10m/s^ down)

Homework Equations

d= v1(t)+1/2a(t)^ ----> I think you could use this

a=v2-v1/t --> maybe

The Attempt at a Solution

a= -10m/s^
v=60m/s
t=?
d=?
t=v/a
t=60/-10
t=-6 s (which doesn't make sense since time can't be negative in this case)

If it helps the answer is 320 m. I'd really appreciate it if you could help me and explain step by step! :) thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
When the object is dropped, the initial velocity is zero.
So the equation becomes ( if you take down as negative )
-d = 0 +-1/2*g*t^2 ...(1)
In the second case you can write
-d = -vt/2 - 1/2*g*t^2/4...(2) Solve the two equations to find t. From that you can find d.

^ Why did you make "d" negative?

I also don't understand why you have two formulas :( and what I'm doing in each and what I'm trying to find in each!

Last edited:
Smile101 said:
^ Why did you make "d" negative?

I also don't understand why you have two formulas :( and what I'm doing in each and what I'm trying to find in each!

There are 2 formulas because each describes one of the situations. Given the time relationship given in the problem you use t/2 for the second equation.

You need two equations because you have two unknowns. You don't know h and you don't know t.

^oh, thank you! :D

Hello! I have another question ..sorry!

Problem

Mr. Jones lives 50 km away from you. You both leave home at 5:00 and drive toward the highway. Mr.Jones travels at 35km/h and you drive at 40km/h. At what time will you pass Mr.Jones?

From the book the answer says: 5:40

This is what i did.. i think I'm on the right track but I have no idea what to do next...

You

d= x
v= 40km/h
t =?

Mr.Jones
d= x+50
v= 35 km/h
t= ?

:eek::eek:

Since Mr.Jones is ahead of you, when you meet him he travels x km and you travel x + 50 km. Since both of you start simultaneously, time of travel is same.
So time T = distance / velocity.
Find the time taken by each and equate it. From that you can get x. Then you can find T.

rl.bhat said:
Since Mr.Jones is ahead of you, when you meet him he travels x km and you travel x + 50 km. Since both of you start simultaneously, time of travel is same.
So time T = distance / velocity.
Find the time taken by each and equate it. From that you can get x. Then you can find T.

sorry i made an error the question is at what time will you pass ms.jones on the highway?

Does it change anything?

okay when i equated it i got

40t=x+50 and 35t=x

now what do i do with the equations?

Smile101 said:
okay when i equated it i got

40t=x+50 and 35t=x

now what do i do with the equations?

(x + 50)/40 = x/35.
Solve for x. the put it in one of the above equations to get time.

rl.bhat said:
(x + 50)/40 = x/35.
Solve for x. the put it in one of the above equations to get time.

so i basically cross-multiplied and got 35(x+50) = 40x
which then gave me 35x + 1750 = 40x
1750= 40x-35x
1750=5x
350=x

sub x=350 into x/35

350/35 = 10s

That doesn't make sense because the final time is supposed to be 5:40 (basically 40 minutes to add onto 5:00)

:frown:?

Well, your answer should be 10 hours, not 10 seconds. Second, unless there's something we're missing, the answer your book gives doesn't make any sense because if Mr. Jones lives 50 km away, it will take you over an hour just to make up that distance.

Unless the cars are following something other than a one dimensional path or the data you've given us is wrong, that answer is incorrect!

jgens said:
Unless the cars are following something other than a one dimensional path or the data you've given us is wrong, that answer is incorrect!

No, the answer's perfectly fine because two people are driving towards each other, and the question asks when they'll meet. That means neither of them has to make it to the other person's home.

Why would you be driving in opposite directions if you're driving towards the same highway? Unless the highway is in between the two houses of course but that's not clear from the problem.

1. How do you calculate the time it takes for a dropped object to hit the ground?

To calculate the time it takes for a dropped object to hit the ground, you can use the formula t = √(2h/g), where t is the time, h is the height of the tower, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²). Simply plug in the values and solve for t.

2. How do you find the speed of the dropped object when it hits the ground?

The speed of the dropped object when it hits the ground can be found using the formula v = gt, where v is the final velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time it takes for the object to hit the ground. Again, plug in the values and solve for v.

3. Can you use this formula for objects dropped from any height?

Yes, this formula can be used for objects dropped from any height. However, it assumes that there is no air resistance, which may not be the case in real-life scenarios.

4. What is the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity is a constant value of 9.8 m/s². This means that an object in freefall will accelerate at a rate of 9.8 meters per second, per second.

5. Does the mass of the object affect its acceleration?

No, the mass of the object does not affect its acceleration due to gravity. This is known as the principle of equivalence, which states that all objects, regardless of their mass, will fall at the same rate in a vacuum.