Solve Kinematics Problems Before Wednesday

• Thread starter PandaBunny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, a sprinter can accelerate with constant acceleration for 2.28s before reaching top speed. He can run 148.0m in 16.6s.
PandaBunny
I don't know what to do for these three questions and they're due on Wednesday

Homework Statement

a. A sprinter can accelerate with constant acceleration for 2.28s before reaching top speed.
He can run 148.0m in 16.6s. What is his speed as he crosses the finish line?

b. A car accelerates at 2.15m/s2 along a straight road.
It passes two marks that are 29.5m apart at times t=3.95s and t=4.85s.
What was the car's velocity at t=0?

c. You've attached a rocket to the rear of a small car
The rocket provides a constant acceleration for 4.68s.
As the rocket shuts off, a parachute opens and slows the car at a rate of 3.43m/s2.
The car passes the judges' box, 878.0m from the starting line, exactly 14.0s after you fire the What is the car's speed as it passes the judges?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to start I'm just too stressed

Physics news on Phys.org
Chill and start by recalling what equations govern accelerated motion.

It is also suggested that you post one problem at a time.

First, Don't panic! Second, somebody on here quoted a problem-solving methodology I didn't know - GRASP. It stands for

Given - list the quantities that are in the question.
Required - list the quantities that you are supposed to find.
Asess - what equations do you know that link the things that you listed? Your textbook's index is helpful if nothing springs to mind.
Solve - do the maths.
Paraphrase - write out the answer.

See if you can do the first three at least.

I've tried to solve it already but I'm just not getting the right answers, I just need to see how someone else goes about solving it before I try it again

If you want help, post your work so far. We won't do your HW for you. You don't have much time left.

1. What is kinematics and why is it important?

Kinematics is the study of motion, particularly the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects. It is important because it helps us understand how objects move and interact with each other, and allows us to make predictions about future motion.

2. How do I solve kinematics problems?

To solve kinematics problems, you will need to use equations that relate position, velocity, and acceleration. These equations are derived from basic principles of motion, such as Newton's laws. It is also important to clearly identify known and unknown variables, and to use proper units when plugging values into equations.

3. What types of kinematics problems might I encounter?

There are a variety of kinematics problems that you may encounter, including problems involving constant velocity, uniform acceleration, non-uniform acceleration, projectile motion, and circular motion. Each type of problem requires a different approach and set of equations.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve kinematics problems?

Yes, a calculator can be helpful when solving kinematics problems because it allows you to easily perform calculations involving variables and units. However, it is important to understand the concepts and equations behind the calculations, rather than relying solely on the calculator.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving kinematics problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving kinematics problems include using incorrect formulas, mixing up units, and not properly identifying known and unknown variables. It is also important to double-check your calculations and make sure they make sense in the context of the problem.