Crossing Point Distance Calculation

• Thread starter zn23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, two stones are thrown with the same speed, one upward from the base of a cliff and the other downward from the top of the cliff. The height of the cliff is 4 m and the speed is 7 m/s. Using the equations yup = v1t + 1/2at^2 and ydown = v1t + 1/2at^2, the displacement from the ground at the crossing point can be found by setting yup = 4 - ydown and solving for t.
zn23

Homework Statement

Two stones are thrown simultaneously, one straight upward from the base of a cliff and the other straight downward from the top of the cliff. The stones are thrown with the same speed.
The height of the cliff is 4 m and the speed with which the stones are thrown is 7 m/s.

find the distance of the crossing point above the ground.

Homework Equations

gotta use these using the equations y up = v1t + 1/2at^2, and y down = v1t + 1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

well so far i went v= x / t and found t = x / v, which was 0.6 s i plugged it in both equations, but i don't know what to do next add the displacements or what ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
zn23 said:

Homework Statement

Two stones are thrown simultaneously, one straight upward from the base of a cliff and the other straight downward from the top of the cliff. The stones are thrown with the same speed.
The height of the cliff is 4 m and the speed with which the stones are thrown is 7 m/s.

find the distance of the crossing point above the ground.

Homework Equations

gotta use these using the equations y up = v1t + 1/2at^2, and y down = v1t + 1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

well so far i went v= x / t and found t = x / v, which was 0.6 s i plugged it in both equations, but i don't know what to do next add the displacements or what ?

The equation v = x/t is for constant velocities only, ie a = 0. So using it in this question is not going to help. You are looking for the point where the stones cross - at this point they will have the same displacement from the ground and will have traveled for the same length of time.

Use this information in your two relevant equations to find s = y up = (4 - y down) where s is the displacement from the ground at time t.

what wud u suggest another way to find time wud be ?

What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

What are the basic components of kinematics?

The basic components of kinematics are position, displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time.

How is kinematics different from dynamics?

Kinematics deals with the description and mathematical representation of motion, while dynamics takes into account the forces that cause the motion.

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a scalar quantity that measures the rate of motion, while velocity is a vector quantity that measures both the rate and direction of motion.

What are the three equations of motion?

The three equations of motion are:

1. Vf = Vi + at
  2. S = Vit + 1/2at^2
  3. Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2aΔx