Kinematics Question on thrown ball

In summary: The first question is asking for the change in velocity (triangle V) as the ball passes through the window. This can be calculated by subtracting the two speeds at the top and bottom of the window (Vb - Va).The second question is asking for the speed at which the ball passes the top of the window (Va). This can be solved by using the same formula as before, but substituting the time (tAB = 0.45 seconds) and the change in position (height of the window, 3.4 meters) to solve for Va.In summary, when solving for initial speed in a problem involving an object being thrown straight up, we can use the formula V = Vi + at, and since
Woobi
Here is the question I am trying to awnser:

A ball is thrown straight up and reaches a maximum height in 6.81 s.

What was the ball's initial speed?

Keeping in mind that we are not yet dealing with any sort of friction...

So for problems like this I do the following:

Given:
Xo - 0
X - ? (this might be zero I'm not sure)
Vo - ?
V - ? (this might be zero I'm not sure)
a - 9.8 m/s
t - 6.81 at it's maximum height

I need to solve for Vo. I'm not sure how to do this though.

I know I should use one of the equations of:

http://webphysics.iupui.edu/152/152F04/152Basics/kinematics/gif/kineq01.gif

But I have no idea beyond that...

I tried the V=Vo + at with V as zero and t as 13.62 seconds (I doubled it beacuse I thought I should in order to get the complete time) and when I did that I got Vo as a negative...

And I know it's not a negative...

Any help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You were on the right track with the formula you used.

V = Vi + at
Velocity = The initial Velocity + (acceleration * time)

The point when the object reaches its maximum height is when it has zero upward velocity (V = 0). While the object is traveling upward, it is undergoing a constant downward acceleration due to gravity (a = -9.81).
and the time it took to reach it max height is given (t = 6.81)

so,
0 = Vi + (-9.81 meters/second^2)(6.81 seconds),
now solve for the initial velocity.

There is no need to double the time, as V=0 after 6.81 seconds. (or if you want to make life more difficult put V=-Vi and t=13.62)

So it's initial speed is 66.738 m/s right?

I'm pretty sure that's correct (I got the same answer), except in fewer sig figs of course :)

Ok I'm pretty sure this is the last question for now...

It reads as this:

A ball is dropped from rest at point O (height unknown). After falling for some time, it passes by a window of height 3.4m and it does so during tAB = .45 s.

The ball accelerates all the way down; let Va be its speed as it passes the window's top A and Vb its speed as it passes the window's bottom B.

How much did the ball speed up as it passed the window; i.e., calculate Triange(that's the delta sign right) Vdown = Vb - Va? Awnser in units of m/s.

Then, calculate the speed Va at which the ball passes the window's top. Awnser in units of m/s.

It has a diagram that looks like this: http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/3634/ff5ge.png

I honestly have no clue where to start on this...

I'm not even sure what it is asking me to find out...

I think I may have gotten the awnser for the first question, but I doubt it...

I did, V=Vo + at which is, with the subsitution:

V = 0 + 9.8 m/s(.45 sec)

Which comes out to be V = 4.41 m/s. However, I'm not sure what that V is. Is that the Velocity the ball has at the top of the window (in the diagram A)? Or is it something else? Did that solve the second question not the first?

Help would be great, thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ohp, nevermind...

Got it...

1. What is the definition of kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. How is kinematics related to a thrown ball?

Kinematics can be used to describe the motion of a thrown ball by analyzing its position, velocity, and acceleration at different points in time.

3. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is the rate at which an object moves, while velocity is the rate at which an object moves in a specific direction. Velocity includes both speed and direction, while speed only considers the magnitude of the movement.

4. What are the three basic kinematic equations?

The three basic kinematic equations are:

1. Position (x) = Initial position (x0) + Initial velocity (v0) * time (t) + 1/2 * acceleration (a) * time squared (t^2)
  2. Final velocity (v) = Initial velocity (v0) + acceleration (a) * time (t)
  3. Final velocity squared (v^2) = Initial velocity squared (v0^2) + 2 * acceleration (a) * change in position (x-x0)

5. How does air resistance affect the kinematics of a thrown ball?

Air resistance can cause a decrease in the velocity and acceleration of a thrown ball, as well as a change in its trajectory. This is due to the opposing force of air pushing against the ball as it moves through the air.