Help with Kinematics Problem: Find Initial Velocity

• Thread starter simple123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a golfer hitting a golf ball on a flat golf course. The initial launch angle was 20 degrees and the ball traveled 310 ft. The question asks for the initial velocity and the time of flight. It is suggested to solve the problem using 2D kinematics and breaking it into separate 1D problems to find the time and other variables.
simple123
I'd be very much obliged if someone could help me with this problem. Thanks in advance.

A golfer strikes a golf ball on a flat golf course. The golf ball was "launched" by the golf club at 20 degrees relative to the surface of the flat golf course. The golf ball landed 310 ft away. What was the initial velocity at which the golf ball was launched?

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: How much time did the ball spend in the air and how far along the course could it travel in that time.

I forgot the other part of the question. It also asked for you to determine the time of flight. The problem did not give any specific time or anything...Is it possible that this question wants you to solve in terms of variables?

You can find the time from the information you provided. In 2D kinematic problems, it is usually easiest to break the problem up into separate 1D problems. Once the time is found, other variables can be found relatively easily, and in the end if you want to find the resulting vector you can just add the 2 component vectors you found.

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. How do I find the initial velocity in a kinematics problem?

To find the initial velocity in a kinematics problem, you can use the formula v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. Rearrange the formula to solve for u.

3. What information do I need to solve for the initial velocity in a kinematics problem?

You will need to know at least two of the following: final velocity, acceleration, time, and displacement. It is also helpful to have a clear understanding of the problem and any given conditions.

4. Can I use kinematics equations to solve for initial velocity in any situation?

No, kinematics equations can only be used when the acceleration is constant. If the acceleration is not constant, more advanced techniques such as calculus may be needed to solve for initial velocity.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving for initial velocity in a kinematics problem?

One common mistake is confusing the initial velocity with the final velocity. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem to correctly identify which variable represents the initial velocity. Another mistake is not paying attention to units, which can lead to incorrect calculations.