Solve Kinematics: Find Vi of Flea Jumping 0.390m

• Thread starter jnimagine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, to find the initial velocity (vi) of a flea jumping to a maximum height of 0.390m, you can use the equation vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad. However, when solving for vi, the negative sign in front of vi^2 can cause confusion. This can be resolved by considering the direction of acceleration (downward) and displacement (upward) as they are opposite and cancel each other out. Therefore, the negative sign in the equation is necessary and the equation can still be used to find vi.
jnimagine
A flea jmps to a maximum height of 0.390m. Find vi as it leaves the ground.

I thought of using the equation vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad
but in this case, if i want to find out vi, I get
-vi^2 = 2ad.
and because of the negative, it doesn't work...

How do you solve this problem??

Physics news on Phys.org
jnimagine said:
A flea jmps to a maximum height of 0.390m. Find vi as it leaves the ground.

I thought of using the equation vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad
but in this case, if i want to find out vi, I get
-vi^2 = 2ad.
and because of the negative, it doesn't work...

How do you solve this problem??

Acceleration due to gravity: a = -9.8m/s2 note the minus sign!

The reason why this is negative: the flea is jumping up (positive direction), acceleration is acting down (negative direction as it is opposite to the direction of the jump)

This cancels out your problem of negative displacement when you realize you are working with vectors that have different directions.

To solve this problem, we can use the equation vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and d is the displacement. In this case, we know that the final velocity is 0 m/s since the flea reaches its maximum height and then falls back down. We also know that the displacement, d, is 0.390m. Therefore, we can rewrite the equation as 0^2 = vi^2 + 2(9.8m/s^2)(0.390m). This simplifies to 0 = vi^2 + 7.64m/s^2. To solve for vi, we can rearrange the equation to vi^2 = -7.64m/s^2 and then take the square root of both sides. This gives us vi = +/- 2.76m/s. However, since the flea is jumping upwards, we can disregard the negative solution and conclude that the initial velocity of the flea as it leaves the ground is 2.76m/s.

1. How do you calculate the initial velocity of a flea jumping 0.390m?

The initial velocity of the flea can be calculated using the kinematic equation, Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad, where Vf is the final velocity (which is assumed to be 0 since the flea comes to a stop at the highest point of the jump), a is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8m/s^2), and d is the displacement (0.390m). Rearranging the equation to solve for Vi, we get Vi = √(2ad).

2. Is it necessary to know the time of the jump to solve for the initial velocity?

No, the time of the jump is not necessary to solve for the initial velocity. The kinematic equation mentioned above does not require the time variable. However, if the time is known, it can be used to double check the calculated value of Vi.

3. Can the initial velocity of the flea be negative?

Yes, the initial velocity of the flea can be negative if we consider upward as the positive direction. In this case, the flea would be jumping downwards with a negative initial velocity.

4. How accurate is the calculated initial velocity?

The accuracy of the calculated initial velocity depends on the accuracy of the input values (displacement and acceleration due to gravity), as well as any assumptions made (e.g. final velocity is assumed to be 0). To improve accuracy, multiple trials can be conducted and the average value of Vi can be used.

5. Can the same method be used to solve for the initial velocity of any object in motion?

Yes, the same method can be used to solve for the initial velocity of any object in motion, as long as the other variables (displacement, acceleration, and final velocity) are known or can be determined. This method is based on the principles of kinematics, which are applicable to all types of motion.