1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematics Question

Tags:
  1. Dec 23, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given v0=0 m/s, x0=0 m, and t=10 s, use all three kinematic equations together to find xf.
    2. Relevant equations
    vf=v0+at
    xf=x0+v0t+1/2at2
    vf2=v02+2a(xf-x0)
    3. The attempt at a solution
    The more I look at this, the less sense it makes. First off, I tried to plug the values into the first equation, but I don't have vf or a. The second equation, I don't have an a. The last one, I don't have a f nor acceleration. I can't see how I can solve this question without either the final velocity or acceleration.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2014 #2

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

I agree. This seems like an incomplete question. Is this out of a textbook? Is there a diagram or some other description in the heading for the section that provides more information? Is this something that is falling as a result of gravity?

4. Dec 23, 2014 #3
    Nothing else is stated other than what is provided. It's actually a problem from a summer assignment that is due the first day of the semester. There's no other information in the header, as it just provides a brief overview of instructions for the section, which is "Algebra", and it basically covers all of physics, from kinematics to currents and circuits. It doesn't say that it's falling due to gravity, but if it were, then it would be solvable, but wouldn't require all 3 equations.

5. Dec 23, 2014 #4
    They want the answer in terms of a.

Chet

6. Dec 23, 2014 #5
    If that were the case, then it wouldn't require all three equations would it? Just the second one, no?

7. Dec 23, 2014 #6
    Yes. You are not given enough info to do more.

8. Dec 23, 2014 #7
    Thanks for all the help! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted