Kinematics: Find xf with v0, x0, t

• Thread starter Ryan Hwang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, this is an incomplete question from a summer assignment that is due the first day of the semester. There is no other information in the header.
Ryan Hwang

Homework Statement

Given v0=0 m/s, x0=0 m, and t=10 s, use all three kinematic equations together to find xf.

Homework Equations

vf=v0+at
xf=x0+v0t+1/2at2
vf2=v02+2a(xf-x0)

The Attempt at a Solution

The more I look at this, the less sense it makes. First off, I tried to plug the values into the first equation, but I don't have vf or a. The second equation, I don't have an a. The last one, I don't have a f nor acceleration. I can't see how I can solve this question without either the final velocity or acceleration.

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree. This seems like an incomplete question. Is this out of a textbook? Is there a diagram or some other description in the heading for the section that provides more information? Is this something that is falling as a result of gravity?

Nothing else is stated other than what is provided. It's actually a problem from a summer assignment that is due the first day of the semester. There's no other information in the header, as it just provides a brief overview of instructions for the section, which is "Algebra", and it basically covers all of physics, from kinematics to currents and circuits. It doesn't say that it's falling due to gravity, but if it were, then it would be solvable, but wouldn't require all 3 equations.

They want the answer in terms of a.

Chet

Likes Ryan Hwang
Chestermiller said:
They want the answer in terms of a.

Chet
If that were the case, then it wouldn't require all three equations would it? Just the second one, no?

Ryan Hwang said:
If that were the case, then it wouldn't require all three equations would it? Just the second one, no?
Yes. You are not given enough info to do more.

Likes Ryan Hwang
Chestermiller said:
Yes. You are not given enough info to do more.
QuantumCurt said:
I agree. This seems like an incomplete question. Is this out of a textbook? Is there a diagram or some other description in the heading for the section that provides more information? Is this something that is falling as a result of gravity?
Thanks for all the help! :)

1. What is Kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. How do you find xf (final position) using v0 (initial velocity), x0 (initial position), and t (time)?

To find xf, you can use the kinematic equation: xf = x0 + v0t, where xf is the final position, x0 is the initial position, v0 is the initial velocity, and t is the time.

3. Can you use this formula for both constant and non-constant acceleration?

Yes, this formula can be used for both constant and non-constant acceleration as long as the acceleration remains constant during the given time interval.

4. What are the units for v0, x0, and t in this equation?

The units for v0 and x0 are typically meters per second (m/s) and meters (m) respectively, while the unit for t is usually seconds (s).

5. Can this formula be used for both one-dimensional and two-dimensional motion?

Yes, this formula can be used for both one-dimensional and two-dimensional motion as long as the initial and final positions, as well as the initial velocity, are all in the same direction.