1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematics=>Relative Velocity

1. May 16, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A glass wind screen whose inclination with the vertical can be changed, is mounted on a cart as shown in figure. The cart moves uniformly along the horizontal part with a speed = 6 m/s. At what max. angle [tex]\ \theta[/tex] to the vertical can the wind screen be placed so that the rain drops falling vertically downwards with velocity = 2m/s DO NOT enter the cart ?
    |***CAR****|..\ <--WINDSCREEN

2. What I need help with
    This problem i am unable to start off
    I am not able to judge the (relative) velocity vectors. I cannot decide the condition for the rain drops to not enter the car.
    Thx for any help
    Last edited: May 16, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2007 #2
    Assume that the car is at rest and the rain is falling at some angle to it. So, the vertical comp of the rain is given and the horizontal component will be that of the car (but with the direction reversed).

Now, assume that the rain falls in a straight line and that should give you something to work with.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?