1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematics, resolving vectors

1. Jul 14, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In the arrangement as shown in the figure below, the ends P and Q of an inextensible string move downwards with uniform speed u. Pulleys A and B are fixed. Mass M moves upward with a speed:

a. 2ucosθ
    b. u/cosθ
    c. 2u/cosθ
    d. ucosθ

2tRxY.png

2. Relevant equations

None, I am not sure whether it falls under general physics or homework section.

3. The attempt at a solution

The strings move with velocity u in their respective directions , thus block will move with velocity 2ucosθ. Since each of the two strings has velocity in vertical direction as ucosθ .

But the answer says it is u/cosθ . Which seems right as when you take components of this total velocity of block M in directions of strings, it gives components as u, but those 2 components don't add up to 2ucosθ. What is the mistake here ? Why are they not adding up to ucosθ?

Thank you for all the support and help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The strings are not moving along their transversal direction. They are getting shorter at a given rate. Based on trigonometry, you can find how much shorter the strings become when the mass moves up a certain distance.

4. Jul 14, 2015 #3

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The point where the strings meet moves upward at the unknown speed v. What must be the component of this velocity in a direction parallel to one of the sloping strings?

5. Jul 14, 2015 #4
    A small correction to the problem the final answer is u/cosθ. It's very weird.

I din't get how it not being transversal effects this relation, clearly. If I suppose manage to stop time, after recording the instantaneous speeds of both the strings(Since they are at the same angle and move with the same velocity, I will assume it to be u). They both will move with u in their respective directions, and their vertical components will add up, and result in 2ucosθ. And also, if I take the angle approaching 90. The final answer yields in the velocity of it going upward with a velocity tending to infinity, which is not true. And at 90, it should be zero in reality, which the equation I got perfectly relates whereas the answer yields it as infinity, which by any standards is wrong.

6. Jul 14, 2015 #5

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

With your assumptions, the strings would be moving apart, which does not happen. I suggest you follow the steps proposed in my earlier post. When the strings are near horizontal, a small change in the string length will result in a large change in the height. This is why the result goes to infinity.

7. Jul 14, 2015 #6
    It yielded me the right answer, sir u/cosθ. Thank you.
    It was just a doubt in my mind why my assumption failed over there. I understood it now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted