1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematics rope question

1. Oct 5, 2003 #1
    Q)On a hot summer day a young girl swings on a rope above the local swimming hole (Figure 4-20). When she lets go of the rope her initial velocity is 2.05 m/s at an angle of 35.0° above the horizontal. If she is in flight for 1.60 s, how high above the water was she when she let go of the rope?

TO GET THE ANSWER.. first I found Vo by using 2.05(sin35) which is 1.17.. then I got the Vy by using -G(t) which is -9.80(1.60) which I got 15.68 for.. using these values I plugged them into the equation: H=Vy^2-Voy^2/2Ay and I got 12.5 for an answer that is wrong.. can anyone tell me where I went wrong? THANKS
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2003 #2

Use the equation Vy= Voy + at to find Vy. You only multiplied a by t, so your Vy term was incorrect. Good luck
  4. Oct 6, 2003 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since you are told that "she is in flight for 1.60 s", don't you think it would be a good idea to use that information?

The simplest way to do this problem is to note that the height at time t is H= -g/2 t2+ v0 sin(theta) t+ y0 where H is the height above the water and y0 is the initial height above the water (which is what you are asked for).

When she hits the water, H= 0 so plug in the information you are given and solve -g/2 t2+ vo sin(theta)+ y0= 0 for y0.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?