How Fast Will the Skier Be After Crossing the Snow Patch?

• Thread starter Fera09
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary: If you square the 32.5, you should get a positive number for vfinal, which makes sense as the skier should be going faster after crossing the patch of snow.
Fera09

Homework Statement

Part A. A 64.0-kg skier starts from rest at the top of a ski slope of height 70.0 m.
If frictional forces do −1.00×104 J of work on her as she descends, how fast is she going at the bottom of the slope?
I already got the right answer for this one.. I have problems in this second part.

Part B. Now moving horizontally, the skier crosses a patch of soft snow, where the coefficient of friction is 0.19. If the patch is of width 69.0 m and the average force of air resistance on the skier is 140 N, how fast is she going after crossing the patch?

Homework Equations

Vinitial= 32.5 (got it from part A)
Vfinal= ?
Distance = 69.0 m
Fnormal= mg = 627.84N
coefficient of friction = 0.19
m= 64.0 kg

Ffriction= Fnormal * coefficient of friction

Wfriction= -Ffriction*Distance
Wairresistance= -Fairresistance*Distance (is this right?)
Change in kinetic energy= (1/2)mvfinal2-(1/2)mvinitial2

The Attempt at a Solution

So I got the equation..
Wfriction+Wairresistance=(1/2)mvfinal2-(1/2)mviinitial2

and i plugged in..

-8222.59 + -9660 = (1/2)(64)vfinal2-(1/2)(64)(32.5)

I know I'm doing something wrong somewhere because I can't take the square root of a negative number, but i don't know where.

Physics news on Phys.org
just noticed i put this in the wrong section, sorry!

Fera09 said:
just noticed i put this in the wrong section, sorry!

No, I moved it here from Advanced Physics. This belongs here in Intro Physics. Check your PMs.

Hi Fera09,

Fera09 said:

Homework Statement

Part A. A 64.0-kg skier starts from rest at the top of a ski slope of height 70.0 m.
If frictional forces do −1.00×104 J of work on her as she descends, how fast is she going at the bottom of the slope?
I already got the right answer for this one.. I have problems in this second part.

Part B. Now moving horizontally, the skier crosses a patch of soft snow, where the coefficient of friction is 0.19. If the patch is of width 69.0 m and the average force of air resistance on the skier is 140 N, how fast is she going after crossing the patch?

Homework Equations

Vinitial= 32.5 (got it from part A)
Vfinal= ?
Distance = 69.0 m
Fnormal= mg = 627.84N
coefficient of friction = 0.19
m= 64.0 kg

Ffriction= Fnormal * coefficient of friction

Wfriction= -Ffriction*Distance
Wairresistance= -Fairresistance*Distance (is this right?)
Change in kinetic energy= (1/2)mvfinal2-(1/2)mvinitial2

The Attempt at a Solution

So I got the equation..
Wfriction+Wairresistance=(1/2)mvfinal2-(1/2)mviinitial2

and i plugged in..

-8222.59 + -9660 = (1/2)(64)vfinal2-(1/2)(64)(32.5)

I know I'm doing something wrong somewhere because I can't take the square root of a negative number, but i don't know where.

In your last line, did you forget to square the 32.5 (or is that just a typing error)?

What is the "Kinematics skier problem"?

The Kinematics skier problem is a physics problem that involves a skier starting from rest and accelerating down a slope. It is used to demonstrate concepts of kinematics, such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

What are the equations used to solve the Kinematics skier problem?

The equations used to solve the Kinematics skier problem are the equations of motion: displacement (Δx = x₂ - x₁), velocity (v = Δx/Δt), and acceleration (a = Δv/Δt). These equations can be manipulated to solve for different variables depending on the given information.

What is the significance of the Kinematics skier problem in physics?

The Kinematics skier problem is significant in physics because it allows us to apply and understand fundamental concepts of kinematics in a real-world scenario. It also helps to develop problem-solving skills and critical thinking in the context of physics.

What are some common challenges when solving the Kinematics skier problem?

Some common challenges when solving the Kinematics skier problem include understanding the given information, determining which equation to use, and correctly setting up the problem. It is also important to pay attention to units and use consistent units throughout the problem.

How can the Kinematics skier problem be applied in other scenarios?

The Kinematics skier problem can be applied in other scenarios involving objects in motion, such as a car accelerating on a road or a ball rolling down a ramp. It can also be used to analyze motion in different directions, such as on a curved path or on an incline.