How to Solve for Time in Kinematics Equations

In summary, the conversation was about solving for T in the equation D = ViT + .5AT^2 and the use of algebra 2 skills and the quadratic formula. The final equation for T was t = \frac{-v_{i} \pm \sqrt{v_{i} + 2ad}}{a}, but there were concerns about its accuracy and consistency with units.
Firestrider
Ok well I'm making a program to solve all my physics formulas quick and easy. But for the equation D = ViT + .5AT^2 I can't solve for T. I forgot some of my algebra 2 skills, which would come in handy here :rolleyes:. This is what I have so far:

Since this is somewhat similar to deriving the quadratic equation I wrote that down to try to mirror it.

[tex]d = v_{i}t + \frac{1}{2}at^{2}[/tex]

[tex]0 = v_{i}t + \frac{1}{2}at^{2} - d[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2}at^{2} + v_{i}t - d = 0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2}at^{2} + v_{i}t = d[/tex]

[tex]t^{2} + \frac{2v_{i}t}{a} = \frac{2d}{a}[/tex]

[tex]t^{2} + \frac{2v_{i}t}{a} + \frac{v_{i}^{2}}{a^{2}} = \frac{2d}{a} + \frac{v_{i}^{2}}{a^{2}}[/tex]

[tex](t + \frac{v_{i}}{a})^{2} = \frac{2d}{a} + \frac{v_{i}^{2}}{a^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]t + \frac{v_{i}}{a} = \sqrt{\frac{2d}{a} + \frac{v_{i}}{a^{2}}}[/tex]

[tex]t = - \frac{v_{i}}{a}\pm\sqrt{\frac{2d}{a} + \frac{v_{i}}{a^{2}}}[/tex]

[tex]t = - \frac{v_{i}}{a}\pm\sqrt{\frac{2da}{a^{2}} + \frac{v_{i}}{a^{2}}}[/tex]

[tex]t = - \frac{v_{i}}{a}\frac{\pm\sqrt{v_{i} + 2ad}}{a}[/tex]

[tex]t = \frac{-v_{i}\pm\sqrt{v_{i} + 2ad}}{a}[/tex]Is there any way of simlifing this more? Any help is appreciated. Well I can't seem to get my LaTeX image to show up, can anyone edit it so it will?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
are you referring the the kinematic eq.
[tex] x=x_{0}+v_{0} t+\frac{a}{2}t^{2} [/tex]
if so why do you not just use the quadratic formula if you're trying to solve for t.
[tex] t = \frac{-v_{0} \pm \sqrt{v_{0}^{2}-2ax_{0}}}{a} [/tex]
if you want to derive the quad. equation then, start with the first formula, complete the square in terms of t, and solve remember in completing the square you have to make it such that the coefficient in front of the squared term is 1, otherwise it's a little messier.

Last edited:
Ya that's what I did... if only the latex from the first post would show up :grumpy:

This is the first equation:
[tex] d = v_{i}t + \frac{1}{2}at^2 [/tex]

And this is the final equation I got:

[tex] t = \frac{-v_{i} \pm \sqrt{v_{i} + 2ad}}{a} [/tex]

Last edited:
Is the final equation right? I don't think it is.

Firestrider said:
Is the final equation right? I don't think it is.

The usual response to this is: "plug your solution back into your initial equation!"

However, before carrying that out, it's a good idea to check that the units of your expression are consistent.

Tried that, didn't work! Plugged in 5's and got a 3m as displacement.

Firestrider said:
Ya that's what I did... if only the latex from the first post would show up :grumpy:

This is the first equation:
[tex] d = v_{i}t + \frac{1}{2}at^2 [/tex]

And this is the final equation I got:

[tex] t = \frac{-v_{i} \pm \sqrt{v_{i} + 2ad}}{a} [/tex]

You should get with your equation
[tex] t = \frac{-v_{i} \pm \sqrt{v_{i}^{2}-2a (\pm d)}}{a} [/tex]
remember
[tex] d=d_{f}-d_{i}[/tex]
so if
[tex] d_{f}<d_{i} [/tex]
your result wouldn't be correct.

Last edited:

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects, without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. How is time related to kinematics?

Time is an important factor in kinematics as it is used to measure the duration of an object's motion or to calculate the speed and velocity of an object.

3. How do you solve for time in kinematics?

To solve for time in kinematics, you can use equations such as t = d/v (time = distance/velocity) or t = v/a (time = velocity/acceleration).

4. What are the units of time in kinematics?

The units of time in kinematics are typically seconds (s) or milliseconds (ms), depending on the magnitude of the object's motion.

5. Can you solve for time without knowing other variables in kinematics?

No, in order to solve for time in kinematics, you need to know at least one other variable such as distance, velocity, or acceleration.