How Fast Does the Rim of a Spinning Disk Travel?

In summary, the problem involves a thin disk with a mass of 60.0g and a diameter of 7.00 cm rotating around its center with 0.240 J of kinetic energy. The question is asking for the speed of a point on the rim. Using the formula K=(1/2)*I*(w^2), where I=(1/2)*M*R^2, the solution can be found by solving for omega (w). However, there may be a calculation error and further steps may be needed to find the correct answer.
Nitrag
Problem 13.30
A thin, 60.0g disk with a diameter of 7.00 cm rotates about an axis through its center with 0.240 J of kinetic energy. What is the speed of a point on the rim?

Homework Equations

m=.06kg
r=.035m
KE=.240J

The Attempt at a Solution

K=(1/2)*I*(w^2)
I=(1/2)*M*R^2

I'm using the formula above but I'm not getting the right answer. My numbers seem way to small. I eventually get w(omega) alone. Where do I go from here. Do i need to solve for the length to figure out rad/s then convert to m/s?

Perhaps I am approaching this wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculation error, sorry. Mods you can delete.

After further consideration, I believe the correct approach would be to use the formula for rotational kinetic energy, K=(1/2)*I*(w^2), where I is the moment of inertia and w is the angular velocity. In this case, the moment of inertia for a thin disk rotating about its center is I=(1/2)*m*r^2, where m is the mass of the disk and r is the radius. Plugging in the given values, we get:

K=(1/2)*(0.06kg)*(0.035m)^2*(w^2)=0.240J

Solving for w, we get w=92.1 rad/s. To convert this to linear speed, we can use the formula v=r*w, where v is the linear speed and r is the radius. Plugging in the given values, we get:

v=(0.035m)*(92.1 rad/s)=3.23 m/s

Therefore, the speed of a point on the rim of the disk is 3.23 m/s. It is important to note that this is the speed of a point on the rim, and not the average speed of the entire disk.

1. What is kinematics spinning disk?

Kinematics spinning disk is a scientific apparatus used to study the motion of objects in circular motion.

2. How does a kinematics spinning disk work?

The disk is mounted on a vertical axis and can be rotated by a motor. A marker is attached to the edge of the disk and as it spins, it creates circular motion. This motion can then be analyzed using various tools and techniques to understand the principles of kinematics.

3. What is the purpose of studying kinematics spinning disk?

The study of kinematics spinning disk helps in understanding the principles of circular motion and how forces act on objects in circular motion. It is also used to analyze and design various mechanical systems such as gears and pulleys.

4. What are some applications of kinematics spinning disk?

Kinematics spinning disk is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and robotics. It is also used in sports science to study the motion of athletes in circular motions, such as in gymnastics or figure skating.

5. How can kinematics spinning disk help in real-world scenarios?

By studying the principles of kinematics using a spinning disk, scientists and engineers can better understand and design mechanisms and systems that involve circular motion. This can range from designing amusement park rides to improving the efficiency of machines and engines.