Kinematics - spring + friction

In summary, the problem involves a block with a mass of 2 kg in contact with a compressed ideal spring with a relaxed length of 1 m and spring constant of 100 N/m. The block is released from rest at x = 0.5 m and comes to a stop at x = 2 m due to kinetic friction on a rough surface with an unknown coefficient. The two questions ask about the maximum acceleration of the block and the coefficient of kinetic friction. The solution involves using energy conservation and Newton's second law to find the answers.
nahanksh

Homework Statement

http://online.physics.uiuc.edu/cgi/courses/shell/common/showme.pl?courses/phys211/oldexams/exam2/fa09/fig8.gif
A small block having a mass of 2 kg is in contact with an ideal spring of relaxed length 1 m and spring constant k = 100 N/m . The spring is compressed to a length of 0.5 m. The block is released from rest at x = 0.5 m. At x = 1 m the mass leaves the spring and comes to rest at x = 2 m. Throughout its entire motion the block slides on a rough surface with a coefficient of kinetic friction μk .

Q1) The maximum acceleration of the block occurs the instant the block begins to move.
True/False

Q2) What is the coefficient of kinetic friction of the surface?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first question, i thought the acceleration is at maximum when the spring is about to move(at x=0.5m)... 'cause i thought the friction force will be exerted after this point reducing the acceleration...
What's wrong in my thought?

And, for the second question, i tried to get the velocity when x=1m using energy-conservation theorem, and i got m*v2 = k*x2 and hence v = 3.53

Now i used the constant acceleration formula, the final velocity is zero, and initial v = 3.53,
a= [tex]\mu[/tex]mg/2 and the displacement = 1.

But then i got the answer as 0.62 which is wrong...

What's wrong in here?

Please help me out with those tiny little(?) two questions...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it`s related to hook`s law ( F =-kx )
and Newton`s second law
hope somebody help us to solve this

I would like to clarify that the maximum acceleration of the block does indeed occur at the instant it begins to move, at x=0.5m. This is because at this point, the block is experiencing the maximum force from the compressed spring, and there is no friction acting on it yet. Once the block starts moving, the friction force will start to oppose its motion, causing the acceleration to decrease.

For the second question, you are on the right track by using the energy conservation theorem. However, there are a few things to consider. First, when solving for the velocity at x=1m, you need to take into account the fact that the block is still in contact with the spring at this point, so the energy stored in the spring is still contributing to the block's velocity. So the correct equation would be m*v^2 = (1/2)k*x^2 + (1/2)mv^2, where x=1m. Solving for v, you should get v=2.83 m/s.

Next, when using the constant acceleration formula, you need to consider the total distance traveled by the block, which is 2m (from x=1m to x=2m). So the equation should be 0 = v^2 + 2a(2-1), where v=2.83 m/s and a is the acceleration due to friction. Solving for a, you should get a= 2.83 m/s^2.

Finally, you can use the equation F(friction) = μk*mg to solve for the coefficient of kinetic friction. Plugging in the values, you should get μk = 0.283. So the coefficient of kinetic friction for the surface is 0.283.

I hope this helps clarify the concepts and equations involved in solving this problem. Keep up the good work in your studies of kinematics!

What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

What is a spring in kinematics?

In kinematics, a spring is a mechanical device that can store and release energy by being compressed or stretched. It is commonly used to model the motion of objects in simple harmonic motion.

How does friction affect kinematics?

Friction is a force that opposes motion, and it can significantly affect the kinematics of an object. It can cause a decrease in velocity and a change in direction of an object's motion.

What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction is the friction that exists between two surfaces when they are not moving relative to each other. Kinetic friction, on the other hand, is the friction that exists between two surfaces when they are in motion relative to each other.

How do you calculate the net force in a system involving a spring and friction?

To calculate the net force in a system involving a spring and friction, you would need to consider the forces acting on the object, including the force of the spring and the force of friction. You can then use Newton's second law of motion, F=ma, to calculate the net force.