Kinematics: Spring Homework Solution

In summary: For example, for option D, what are the units of k/m? Do they match the units of the left hand side?In summary, the correct expression for the time t it takes to complete each oscillation is (c) t = 2π sqrt(m/k). This can be determined by checking the units of each term on the right hand side and eliminating the equations that do not match the units of the left hand side.
nahanksh

Homework Statement

http://online.physics.uiuc.edu/cgi/courses/shell/common/showme.pl?courses/phys211/oldexams/exam2/sp08/fig11.gif
A mass m is attached to a spring with spring constant k, the other end of which is attached to the ceiling. It is pulled and allowed to oscillate up and down. Using dimensional analysis, determine which of the following is a valid expression for the time t it takes to complete each oscillation.
(a) t = 2πkm
(b) t = 2π sqrt(m-k)
(c) t = 2π sqrt(m/k)
(d) t = 2π sqrt(k3/m)
(e) t = 2π + m/k2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve this problem using 'energy conservation' theorem..
But from there, i couldn't find the factor of the 'time' and when seeing the options given,
I don't even know why "2*pi" is coming into the picture when dealing with spring...

Please could someone help me out here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
All you have to do is eliminate the equations that can't possibly be valid. Check the units (or dimensions) of each term on the right hand side. Do they match the units of the left hand side?

from free body diagram you can arrive to this eqn
mx'' + kx = 0
this is a simple harmonic motion
x'' + (k/m)x = 0
ω = sqrt(k/m)
ω = 2*pi*f
f = 1/t

Doc Al said:
All you have to do is eliminate the equations that can't possibly be valid. Check the units (or dimensions) of each term on the right hand side. Do they match the units of the left hand side?

Oh, that was the point of the question.

So, I have eliminated A,B and C.
From this point, how do i decide whether it's C or D ...?

nahanksh said:
From this point, how do i decide whether it's C or D ...?
By checking the units as I described above. What are the units on the right hand side of each? (Only one of them has the correct units.)

You should be doing the same analysis for each term on the right hand side.

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the study of motion, specifically the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects without taking into account the forces that cause the motion.

2. What are springs?

Springs are elastic objects that can be stretched or compressed by a force, and then return to their original shape when the force is removed.

3. How does a spring's motion relate to its mass and stiffness?

The motion of a spring is directly proportional to the force applied to it, and inversely proportional to its mass and stiffness. A less massive or stiffer spring will have a greater acceleration for a given force.

4. What is Hooke's law and how does it relate to springs?

Hooke's law states that the force applied to an elastic object, such as a spring, is directly proportional to the amount of stretch or compression of the object. This law helps us understand the behavior of springs and their relationship to applied forces.

5. How can I determine the period of a spring's oscillation?

The period of a spring's oscillation, or the time it takes for one complete cycle of motion, can be determined by dividing the mass of the object attached to the spring by the spring constant, and then taking the square root of that value. This is known as the spring-mass system period formula.