1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Kinematics Trig Problem

1. May 2, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A football kicker can give the ball an initial speed of 25 m/s. What are the least and greatest elevation angles at which he can kick the ball to score a field goal from a point 50 m in front of goalposts whose horizontal bar is 3.44 m above the ground?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've worked it down to 3.44(cos a)^2 = 50(sin a)(cos a) - 19.6 , but I can't figure out how to solve this equation. None of the trig identities seem to help. Is this equation solvable (without a graphing calculator) or am I just approaching the problem the wrong way?

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2010 #2
    try
    2sin(a)cos(a) = sin(2a)
    and
    cos(2a) = 2cos(a)^2 - 1

4. May 2, 2010 #3
    Made the subs, now I have 1.72 cos(2a) - 25 sin(2a) = -21.32 . What now?

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  5. May 2, 2010 #4

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Assuming you did everything correctly, you can use the identity cos(2a)=1-2sin^2(a) to get a quadratic equation.

6. May 2, 2010 #5
    Wouldn't I have to either get everything in terms of (sin a) or everything in terms of (sin 2a) to solve as a quadratic?

7. May 3, 2010 #6
    You can subsitute cos(2a) = (1-sin^2(2a))^0.5 and square the equation to get a quadratic equation. Solve for sin(2a).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook