1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematics velocity Question

1. Aug 11, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The magnitude of the velocity of a projectile when it is at its maximum height above ground level is 14 m/s. (a) What is the magnitude of the velocity of the projectile 1.2 s before it achieves its maximum height? (b) What is the magnitude of the velocity of the projectile 1.2 s after it achieves its maximum height? If we take x = 0 and y = 0 to be at the point of maximum height and positive x to be in the direction of the velocity there, what are the (c) x coordinate and (d) y coordinate of the projectile 1.2 s before it reaches its maximum height and the (e) x coordinate and (f) y coordinate

2. Relevant equations
    Maybe will use component method

3. The attempt at a solution
    JEdcQA0.png

Have you tried anything yet?
    - First time encountering this kind of problem, but by using my knowledge in vectors(which is not that big, so don't expect.) maybe I can say I'll use 14 as my y component and use some data (which I do not know) to get the x component. Then I can use it to get the hypotenuse or the magnitude.

It seems you only known a few about this problem?
    - Well sorry if I lack information about this problem, well this is why I posted in this forum right? For someone to lend me a hand.

English is not my first language

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2015 #2

Titan97

Gold Member

Does the x-component of velocity of projectile change during its motions?

4. Aug 11, 2015 #3
    Well I think so. Yes. If I'm wrong, please tell me why, I would love to know. Thank you!

5. Aug 11, 2015 #4

Titan97

Gold Member

What is the direction of acceleration of a projectile?

6. Aug 11, 2015 #5

Titan97

Gold Member

Hint: What you said in post 3 is wrong

7. Aug 11, 2015 #6
    Oh okay? I think it is up to down only so maybe the x-component will not change?

Then my drawing is wrong if that;s the case

8. Aug 11, 2015 #7
    No , acceleration is in downward direction , but your diagram is still correct .

9. Aug 11, 2015 #8

Titan97

Gold Member

Leave the diagram for now. Good. The acceleration is indeed along y-axis only. Now, write the kinematic equations for displacement of projectile along x and y-axis separately.
    Take ux and uy as the initial velocity along x and y axis respectively and ax and ay as the acceleration. (You know the value of ax and ay)

10. Aug 11, 2015 #9
    I think you mean this? q8GGHtZ.png
    the 2nd equation I assume?

or you mean this
    Vx = VoCosΘ
    Vy = VoSinΘ

??

11. Aug 11, 2015 #10

Titan97

Gold Member

Take the third kinematic equation (given in blue).
    s=v0+½at2. Just write the equation along x and y axis separately.

12. Aug 11, 2015 #11
    Sooo okay
    S=(14)+1/2(9.8)(1.2)^2
    Am I right?
    S=(14)+1/2(9.8)(-1.2)^2

13. Aug 11, 2015 #12
    You haven't done any problem of this sort before ? Have you not even read about it before ?

Projectile motion has different formulas , different conditions and you should read about it before trying any of it's questions . It isn't just a different kind of kinematics problem , it ( projectile motion ) consists of a whole set of different problems .

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  14. Aug 11, 2015 #13
    But I'm sorta getting the idea of freefall. I will change a into g right? 9.8 m/s^2

15. Aug 11, 2015 #14

Titan97

Gold Member

Yes. I advice you to read about projectile motion before attempting this. Read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projectile_motion

16. Aug 11, 2015 #15
    I sort of understand free fall which lead to projectile motion right?
    Look. I'm not totally clueless about the question. But a help is all I need, I'm not asking for answers.
    I'm a type of person who understands lesson via examples.

This is my first time encountering this type of Q
    but this is not my first time answering a free fall question.

17. Aug 11, 2015 #16

Titan97

Gold Member

Please read about projectile motion and you will find that you could have solved the question yourself.If you are still not able to solve, then post your doubt on PF. I am helping you. I don't want to spoil the fun in solving this question.

18. Aug 11, 2015 #17
    Okay done reading. So can you guide me in the question?

19. Aug 11, 2015 #18

Titan97

Gold Member

In the wikipedia page, the equation for displacement for projectile motion along x and y is given. Use that to find the time of flight. For that, substitute the value of y as zero since at the end of flight, the net displacement along y is zero.

20. Aug 11, 2015 #19
    Please note typo. It should be s=v0t+1/2at2.

With (x,y)=(0,0) at the top of the curve, apply this equation to the x and y directions separately.

21. Aug 11, 2015 #20
    I got a and b last night. My answer for the magnitude is 18.2838

I got it from sqrt(14^2+11.76^2)

I got 11.76 from Vf = Vo-gt<- (9.8)(1.2)

soooo next is c,d,e,f.. any help?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted