1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematics, with two unknowns

1. Aug 8, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A projectile is fired at an angle 60 degrees above the horizontal with a speed of 60m/s. A 0.5 second later, another projectile fired at the same speed but at a different angle. The two projectiles collide at some point (x,y). Find the angle the second projectile was fired and the coordinate (x,y) they collide.

3. The attempt at a solution

All subscripts "1" refer to the first projectile and the "2" refer to the second projectile.

[tex]y_1 (t) = \frac{-gt_1^2}{2} + 30\sqrt{3}t_1[/tex]

[tex]y_2 (t) = \frac{-g(t_1 + \frac{1}{2})^2}{2} + 60(t_1 + \frac{1}{2})\sin\alpha[/tex]

[tex]x_1 (t) = 30t_1[/tex]
    [tex]x_2 (t) = 60(t_1 + \frac{1}{2})\cos\alpha[/tex]

Naturally I set them equal to each other to find that (x,y) coordinate

[tex]y_1 (t) = y_2 (t)[/tex]

[tex]30\sqrt{3} t_1 = \frac{-g}{2}(t_1 + \frac{1}{4}) + 60(t_1 + \frac{1}{2})\sin\alpha[/tex]

(2) [tex](30\sqrt{3} + \frac{g}{2})t_1 + \frac{g}{8} = 60(t_1 + \frac{1}{2})\sin\alpha[/tex]

[tex]x_1 (t) = x_2 (t)[/tex]

(1) [tex]30t_1 = 60(t_1 + \frac{1}{2})\cos\alpha[/tex]

So from Euclid's elements, I can now divide (2) by (1)

[tex]\frac{(30\sqrt{3} + \frac{g}{2})t_1 + \frac{g}{8}}{30t_1} = \tan\alpha[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{3} + \frac{g}{60} + \frac{g}{240t_1} = \tan\alpha[/tex]

Now here is the problem, what is t1? Will all values (other than 0) of t1 work?

I tried to go to back to my other basic kinematics equation, but I don't want a particular t1, I need a general one?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2011 #2
    You have two equations and two unknown. So it can be solved. Just solve [itex]t[/itex] in term of [itex]\alpha[/itex] from one equation and substitute it into the second equations.

BTW, you original equations are wrong. the trajectory for [itex]x_2[/itex] and [itex]y_2[/itex] should have [itex]t_1 - 0.5[/itex] instead of [itex]t_1+0.5[/itex]. The travel time for the second projectile is less than the first one.

4. Aug 8, 2011 #3
    first, i think u have put it wrong, the time of 2nd projectile, it has been fired 1/2 sec later, so it will take less time to collide or travel the same distance with the first. so the time will be t1-1/2. 2nd-ly u can always find t1 in terms of cos alfa from the eqn. x1(t1) = x2(t2). replace t1 in terms of cos alfa in the eqn. u got by deviding eqn. 1 with 2. there will be only one unknown, alfa. it can be solved with a bit of mathematics. i have not worked it out myself, so i don't know how cumbersome it may be.

5. Aug 8, 2011 #4
    So I got

[tex]\sqrt{3} + \frac{g}{240t_1} - \frac{g}{60} = \tan\alpha[/tex]

From x_1 = x_2

[tex]t_1 = \cos\alpha[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{3} + \frac{g}{240\cos\alpha} - \frac{g}{60} = \tan\alpha[/tex]

Any know any trig identities to simplify this?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook