Help with Kinematic and Energy Problems

• Thread starter jinx007
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the conversation discusses a downhill ski race with a total distance of 1800m and a vertical drop of 550m. The skier's weight is 900N and the time taken is 65 seconds. The average speed is 27.7 m/s. The lost gravitational potential energy is 5011.1 J, and the work done against the resistive force is 4.5 x 10^5 J. The remaining questions ask for the skier's kinetic energy and speed as he passes the finish, assuming he does no work. The answers can be found by using the formula PE = mgh and KE = 1/2mv^2.
jinx007
I have some problems dealing with this question please help me...!

In a downhill ski-race the total distance between start and finish is 1800 M and the total vertical drop is 550 M

The weight of the skier and equipment is 900 N and the time taken for the decent is 65 S

1/ calculate the average speed??

2/ calculate the lost in gravitational potential energy of the skier..?

3/ The average resistive force acting against the skier is 250 N, calculate the work done against this resistive force??

4/ If the skier does no work, calculate

1/ The kinetic energy as he passes the finish
2/ The speed as he passes the finish

Answer

1/ average Velocity = total distance / total time 1800/65 = 27.7 m/s

2/ Using conservation of energy P.E = K.E + P.E

mg x 550 = 1/2 x m x (27.7)^2 + mgh
so i eliminate m and (5395-383.6) = 5011.1 J here i don't know if the technique is good

3/ W = f x d

250 x 1800 = 4.5 x 10^5

4/

1/ Here i don't know how to proceed

2/ against same problem

PLEASE CHECK THE ANSWER AND HELP ME TO ATTEMPT THE LAST PART...THANK IN ADVANCE

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming that the 1800m is measured along the slope and does not refer to horizontal distance, 1 is correct.

In 2 you are simply asked for the change in PE - why are you calculating KE?
(Does the question actually say 'lost'? It's bad English and makes it ambiguous - it should be 'loss' I think - then it's just bad physics, the energy isn't lost, simply converted.)

3 is OK

4 The kinetic energy will be the change in PE (from 2) less the work done against friction (3).
The speed can be got from KE = 1/2mv^2. since you now know how much that is.

AJ Bentley said:
Assuming that the 1800m is measured along the slope and does not refer to horizontal distance, 1 is correct.

In 2 you are simply asked for the change in PE - why are you calculating KE?
(Does the question actually say 'lost'? It's bad English and makes it ambiguous - it should be 'loss' I think - then it's just bad physics, the energy isn't lost, simply converted.)

3 is OK

4 The kinetic energy will be the change in PE (from 2) less the work done against friction (3).
The speed can be got from KE = 1/2mv^2. since you now know how much that is.

awww sorry it is loss and not lost..(in fact i know that the energy is converted) But in the question it is clearly written loss..but as we know the energy is converted let's assume it is converted...

So how should i proceed..to calculate the P.E should i just simply use p= mgh or another method..??

For the two last part the question state that the skier does no work

in fact in the paper it is like that

(b) If the skier does no work, calculate:

1/ His K.E as he passes the finish

2/ His speed as he passes the finish

And each of them carry one point don't you think that the method must be in a more simplified way..?

jinx007 said:
should i just simply use p= mgh

Yes

jinx007 said:
For the two last part the question state that the skier does no work
That just means that he adds nothing by using his sticks or pushing with his feet. In other words you can ignore him except as a dead weight.

In fact, work is done against friction but not by the skier - it's just an expression we use in such cases.
e.g. When a car uses it's brakes, 'work is done against friction'. It doesn't mean the driver does the work.

Oh, and it is simple. When you've had a bit of practice at these you'll think so too.:wink:

1/ The kinetic energy of the skier as he passes the finish line can be calculated using the formula K.E = 1/2 x m x v^2, where m is the mass of the skier and v is the speed at the finish line.

To find the mass, we can use the weight of the skier and equipment (900 N) and the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). So, m = 900 N / 9.8 m/s^2 = 91.8 kg.

Now, we can plug in the values to find the kinetic energy:

K.E = 1/2 x 91.8 kg x (27.7 m/s)^2 = 36,586.59 J

2/ The speed of the skier as he passes the finish line can be calculated using the formula v = √(2gh), where h is the vertical drop (550 m).

So, v = √(2 x 9.8 m/s^2 x 550 m) = 118.5 m/s

I hope this helps with your kinematic and energy problems. If you need further assistance, feel free to ask for clarification or additional help.

1. What are kinematic equations and how are they used?

Kinematic equations are a set of mathematical equations that are used to describe the motion of an object. They relate the object's position, velocity, and acceleration at different points in time. They are commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving motion.

2. How do I approach solving a kinematic problem?

The first step in solving a kinematic problem is to identify the known and unknown quantities. This usually involves reading the problem carefully and understanding what information is given and what is being asked to find. Then, you can choose the appropriate kinematic equation and plug in the known values to solve for the unknown quantity.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when working on kinematic problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving kinematic problems include using incorrect units, not considering the direction of motion, and not using the correct kinematic equation for the given scenario. It is important to carefully read the problem and double-check your calculations to avoid these mistakes.

4. How can I use energy principles to solve kinematic problems?

Energy principles, such as the conservation of energy, can be used to solve kinematic problems by providing an alternative way to analyze motion. Instead of using kinematic equations, you can use energy equations to calculate the velocity or position of an object. This approach can be helpful in situations where the forces acting on the object are complicated or difficult to determine.

5. What are some real-life applications of kinematic and energy problems?

Kinematic and energy problems are used in various fields, including physics, engineering, and sports. They can be used to design and optimize machines and structures, analyze the motion of vehicles and projectiles, and understand the mechanics of human movement. They also have practical applications in areas such as roller coaster design, car safety, and sports performance analysis.