What is the optimal speed for a box to slide down a roof with minimal friction?

In summary, the problem involves a person sitting on a roof and pushing a box of nails down the slope to their friend who is standing at the edge of the roof. The question asks for the initial velocity needed for the box to gently come to rest at the edge of the roof, taking into account the coefficient of kinetic friction between the box and the roof. The correct approach is to use the work-energy theorem to find the initial velocity, taking into account the work done by friction.
enrijuan

Homework Statement

You and your friend Peter are putting new shingles on a roof pitched at 20[tex]\circ[/tex] . You're sitting on the very top of the roof when Peter, who is at the edge of the roof directly below you, 5.1 m away, asks you for the box of nails. Rather than carry the 2.1 kg box of nails down to Peter, you decide to give the box a push and have it slide down to him.

Homework Equations

If the coefficient of kinetic friction between the box and the roof is 0.54, with what speed should you push the box to have it gently come to rest right at the edge of the roof?

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought about conservation of mechanical energy
W=[tex]\Delta[/tex]KE + PE
mu(9.81cos20)(5.1/sin20)= -.5vi2 + (9.81)(5.1)

I got the wrong initial velocity can anyone help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Energy is not conserved in this example because friction is what's known as a non-conservative force. As a general rule of thumb, whenever friction is involved, energy will not be conserved.

Do you know how to draw a free body diagram?

You need to think about the different forces acting on the box (there are only two!) and in what direction they are acting.

From this you can work out the resultant force that the box experiences, and therefore the deceleration it experiences. When you know the deceleration, use the equation of motion ('SUVAT' equation) to find the initial velocity.

hi enrijuan! :wink:
enrijuan said:
You and your friend Peter are putting new shingles on a roof pitched at 20[tex]\circ[/tex] . You're sitting on the very top of the roof when Peter, who is at the edge of the roof directly below you, 5.1 m away, asks you for the box of nails. Rather than carry the 2.1 kg box of nails down to Peter, you decide to give the box a push and have it slide down to him.

I thought about conservation of mechanical energy
W=[tex]\Delta[/tex]KE + PE
mu(9.81cos20)(5.1/sin20)= -.5vi2 + (9.81)(5.1)

this is fine :smile:, except you're confused about the distances …

(did you draw a clear diagram for yourself? … always do that, to avoid mistakes)

both your (5.1/sin20) and your (5.1) are wrong :redface:

(btw, you mustn't call this "conservation of mechanical energy" …

it's the work-energy theorem

as JesseC says, energy isn't conserved when work is done by friction :wink:)

I thought that there would be force due to gravity, normal force and the force due to kinetic friction? and I drew a diagram and thought that the distance was directly below as in the y-axis and the hypotenuse would be the displacement.

enrijuan said:
… I drew a diagram and thought that the distance was directly below as in the y-axis and the hypotenuse would be the displacement.

ah, now i see what's been confusing you …
enrijuan said:
… You're sitting on the very top of the roof when Peter, who is at the edge of the roof directly below you, 5.1 m away …

yup, "directly below" would normally mean as in the y-axis, but in the context of a sloping roof, it must mean "directly downhill", so the 5.1 given in the question is measured down the slope, not vertically :redface:

so yes, the hypotenuse is the displacement, but the question (not very clearly) says that it's 5.1 :smile:

ah ok so then my original equation is correct? as in

W= [tex]\Delta[/tex]KE + PE ?

mu(9.81cos20)(5.1)= -.5vi2 + (9.81)(5.1sin20) ?

or should I find the Net Force as JesseC said? If I take that route then
Fx=f-Fgx right?
Fx=mu(m)(g)-m(g)(sin20)
Fx=.54(2.1)(9.81cos20)-2.1(9.81sin20)= 3.41 N
Fx= 3.41= ma
a= -1.62 m/s^2

S=5.1
U= trying to find
V=0
A= -1.62 m/s^2
T= don't know

so, use v^2=vi^2+2as

0=vi^2 + 2(-1.62)(5.1)
vi=(2*1.62*5.1)^.5

vi=4.06 m/s is that right?

enrijuan said:
ah ok so then my original equation is correct? as in

W= [tex]\Delta[/tex]KE + PE ?

mu(9.81cos20)(5.1)= -.5vi2 + (9.81)(5.1sin20) ?

(have a mu: µ and a delta: ∆ :wink:)

yes that's correct, except i think the LHS should have a minus :smile:

(JesseC's method should give the same result, but it's much longer … using the work-energy theorem is a short-cut which effectively eliminates an integration of the equations of motion)

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion. It is directly proportional to the mass of the object and the square of its velocity.

What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or state. It can be stored in various forms such as gravitational potential energy, elastic potential energy, and chemical potential energy.

What is the relationship between kinetic and potential energy?

Kinetic and potential energy are two forms of energy that can be interconverted. When an object is in motion, it possesses kinetic energy, but when it comes to rest, this energy is converted into potential energy. Likewise, potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy when the object starts to move.

How are kinetic and potential energy calculated?

The kinetic energy of an object can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity. The potential energy of an object can be calculated using the formula PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object.

What are some real-life examples of kinetic and potential energy?

Some examples of kinetic energy include a moving car, a falling object, and a spinning top. Examples of potential energy include a stretched rubber band, a raised weight, and a charged battery.