Kinetic and Rotational energy of a sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a sphere rolling down an incline, and the question of what fraction of its kinetic energy is rotational. The known data includes the mass, radius, delta x, and final velocities, and the equation Kroll = 1/2(I*w^2) + 1/2(M)(vf)^2 = Krot + Kcm is used to solve for the rotational and translational kinetic energies. The final answer is found to be 2/7.
hyddro
Hi guys so this is my first time posting a question on this amazing forum, i hope i am doing this right since i read that no one will help me if i am missing something. Anyways, i am dealing with a physics problem that it driving me crazy (mainly because my teacher does not explain anything!) Here is the problem.

1. Homework Statement

An 7.50-cm-diameter, 320 g sphere is released from rest at the top of a 1.90-m-long, 20.0 incline. It rolls, without slipping, to the bottom.
b. What fraction of its kinetic energy is rotational?
So the known data is:
mass= 0.0320 kg
radius= 0.0375 m
delta x= 1.90m
wi = 0
vf = 3.02 m/s
wf = 80.5 rad/s
Find ratio between rotational and kinectic energies.

Homework Equations

Kroll = 1/2 (I* w^2) + 1/2(M)(vf)^2 = Krot + Kcm

The Attempt at a Solution

ok so from part A of the problem i found the velocity at the bottom of the incline to be 3.02 m/s, then i found the final angular velocity. With that all i thought i had to do was plug the data into the previous equation and get an answer:
Since moment of inertia of a cylinder is 2/5MR^2

Kroll = 1/2 (2/5 ) (0.032kg)(0.0375m)^2 ( 80.5 rad/s)^2 + 1/2 ( 0.032 kg)(3.02 m/s)^2

I am getting 0.204 for the Kroll and for the Krot i am getting 0.06... when i divide 0.06/0.204 i get 0.3 which is not the answer :( i have no idea what am i doing wrong! please help me, this homework was due 2 days ago, i am just doing it to understand the concept no for the points, so i would really appreciate your help, wonderful people, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The mass is 0.32kg, not 0.032kg, but that shouldn't affect the ratio.

Maybe you have too much round-off error.

.3 is about 5% different than the correct answer.

ok but am i doing this correctly? i mean, am i supposed to divide Krot by Krolling to get a ratio? or is it the other way (Kroll/krot) ?

I don't get it, no matter how i do it, i am still getting around 0.29... and when round i get 0.3 but it's wrong :/

The fraction of the kinetic energy that is rotational is what you are calling Krot / Kroll .

Why are you rounding to 1 significant figure?

i am rounding to two sig figures :( 0.30, cause i get 0.298

please i really need to understand this, i am not getting the answer.. :/

The question is What fraction of its kinetic energy is rotational?, your answer is the relationship between the rotational and translational kinetic energies.

ok, i don't know what that means then, i thought you had to get the ratio between them,,, if so then i am getting 0.30, which is supposed to be wrong...

Villyer said:
The question is What fraction of its kinetic energy is rotational?, your answer is the relationship between the rotational and translational kinetic energies.

It's clear that what hyddro calls Kroll is the sum of the rotational KE, and the KE of the center of mass, the latter being the translational KE.

So, Krot/Kroll is the fraction he needs.

BTW: For a solid sphere rolling without slipping, it can be shown that this fraction is exactly 2/7 .

hey bro, thanks for helping me, the answer was indeed 2/7 .. but can you explain me how you got that answer?

1. What is the difference between kinetic and rotational energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while rotational energy is the energy an object has due to its rotation around an axis.

2. How is the kinetic energy of a sphere calculated?

The kinetic energy of a sphere can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the sphere and v is its velocity.

3. What factors affect the kinetic energy of a sphere?

The kinetic energy of a sphere is affected by its mass and velocity. An increase in either of these factors will result in a higher kinetic energy.

4. How is the rotational energy of a sphere calculated?

The rotational energy of a sphere can be calculated using the formula RE = 1/2 * I * ω^2, where I is the moment of inertia of the sphere and ω is its angular velocity.

5. Is the kinetic energy of a sphere affected by its shape?

Yes, the shape of a sphere can affect its kinetic energy. Objects with a larger surface area, such as a sphere, experience more air resistance and require more energy to maintain their velocity, resulting in a slightly lower kinetic energy compared to a more streamlined shape.