Calculating Initial Kinetic Energy for Alpha Particle Approaching Nickel Nucleus

In summary, the formula for calculating initial kinetic energy of an alpha particle approaching a nickel nucleus is K = (Z1Z2e^2)/d, where K is the kinetic energy in joules, Z1 and Z2 are the charges of the alpha particle and nickel nucleus respectively, e is the elementary charge, and d is the distance between the two particles. The charges can be found on the periodic table, with the alpha particle having a charge of +2 and the nickel nucleus having a charge of +28. The units for initial kinetic energy are joules (J) and the distance used in the formula should be in meters (m), at the closest point of approach between the two particles. The formula can be used for
NikkiNik

Homework Statement

What initial kinetic energy must an alpha particle have if it is to approach a stationary nickel nucleus to within a distance of 24.6 fm?

Homework Equations

not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure how to connect the KE with the distance of the nucleus. Can someone please give me a hint

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a hint: conservation of energy.

NikkiNik said:
I'm not really sure how to connect the KE with the distance of the nucleus. Can someone please give me a hint

Hint: what is the PE at that distance? :smile:

What is the formula for calculating initial kinetic energy of an alpha particle approaching a nickel nucleus?

The formula for calculating initial kinetic energy is K = (Z1Z2e^2)/d, where K is the kinetic energy in joules, Z1 and Z2 are the charges of the alpha particle and nickel nucleus respectively, e is the elementary charge, and d is the distance between the two particles.

How do I determine the charges of the alpha particle and nickel nucleus?

The charges can be found on the periodic table. The alpha particle has a charge of +2 while the nickel nucleus has a charge of +28.

What are the units for the final calculated initial kinetic energy?

The units for initial kinetic energy are joules (J).

Is there a specific distance that needs to be used in the formula?

Yes, the distance used in the formula should be in meters (m). It is the distance between the alpha particle and the nickel nucleus at the closest point of approach.

Can the formula be used for other particles and nuclei?

Yes, the formula can be used for any two particles with known charges and a known distance between them. However, it is important to note that the formula may need to be modified for different units or for particles with different properties.