1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic energy and momentum

1. Oct 8, 2005 #1
    Theres some calculations in this problem that I just dont get...

Start with the equations for initial and final momenta and kinetic energies and derive the

theoretical equation for the ratio fo [tex]K_f[/tex] to [tex]K_i[/tex]

[tex]P_i=Mv_i[/tex]
    [tex]P_f=(M+m)v_f[/tex]
    [tex]K_i=1/2Mv_i^2[/tex]
    [tex]K_f=1/2(M+m)V_f^2[/tex]
    [tex]K_f/K_i=1/2(M+m)v_f^2/1/2Mv_i^2=M/(M+m)[/tex] this part I dont get. I only get

[tex](M+m)/M[/tex] and im assuming that [tex]v_f[/tex] and [tex]v_i[/tex]

cancel out...

I basically solved for [tex]M=P_i/v_i[/tex] and [tex](M+m)=P_f/v_f
    [/tex]
    I plug it in to kinetic energy equations and get [tex]K_f/K_i=P_f/P_i[/tex] I guess [tex]

v_f[/tex] and [tex]v_i[/tex] cancel out? Is this answer correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2005 #2
    I dont understand the intial question, are two bodies inelastically colliding? Could you be more specific as to the problem please.

4. Oct 8, 2005 #3
    Yes, it is an inelastic collision.

Also a seperate question is what would the difference between an elastic and inelastic collision?

5. Oct 8, 2005 #4
    the intial and final velocities are not going to be the same, in general. A simple example is a fly hitting a winsheild. Its traveling with its initial speed of lets say 2m/s. It hits the truck, and gets stuck on the winsheild, now its moving at the speed of the truck, maybe 30m/s.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2005
  6. Oct 8, 2005 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy is conserved. In an inelastic collision, the total kinetic energy is not conserved.

7. Oct 8, 2005 #6
    I think the most you can do is simplify the ratio as:

[tex] (1 + \frac{m}{M}) (\frac{V_f}{V_i})^2 [/tex]

but if you want it in terms of intial and final momentum it will be:

[tex] ( \frac {M}{M+m})( \frac{ P_f}{P_i})^2 [/tex]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2005
  8. Oct 8, 2005 #7
    In an elastic collision , the initial and kinetic energies remain the same But in inelastic collision , some of the initial KE is lost to the surroundings as other forms of energy like heat/sound , but in both the cases , the Total energy is always conserved.

BJ

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?