1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Kinetic Energy and Velocity

1. Dec 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A ball at the top of its drop has 15 J of potential energy, neglecting air resistance, what is the kinetic energy at the bottom of the drop? What is the velocity?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Because the problem is asking for the kinetic energy and velocity at the bottom of the drop, I guessed that both the kinetic energy and velocity would be 0.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2009 #2
    Energy is conserved. So you must have 15 J of energy at every position during the drop.
    What is the equation for kinetic energy? And were you given mass the mass of the ball?

4. Dec 26, 2009 #3
    The equation for kinetic energy is KE=(1/2)(m)(v2). I was not given the mass of the ball.

5. Dec 26, 2009 #4
    Unless I am missing something then you need that... the mass of the ball.

Unless you were given the height from which the ball was dropped (presumably from rest)?

You could have a larger mass dropped from small height, or a smaller mass dropped from a higher position, both of which could yeild 15 J of mechanical energy... But would give you diff. answers if you wanted to find v from kinetic energy.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook