1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic Energy at the Bottom

1. Dec 5, 2009 #1
    Preston pushes a wheelbarrow weighing 500 N to the top of a 50 m ramp, inclined 20° with the horizontal, and leaves it. Tamara accidentally bumps the wheelbarrow. It slides back down the ramp, during which an 80 N frictional force acts on it over the 50 m. What is the wheelbarrow's kinetic energy at the bottom of the ramp? (g = 9.8 m/s2)

* 4550 J
    * 6550 J
    * 8150 J
    * 13100 J

I am really confused with this one. I need help. Please get back to me a.s.a.p. with some explanations or anything that will be helpful. I don't even know where to start, and I need this done by tomorrow night. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2009 #2
    Two approaches:
    1) solve using newton three laws of motions (find acceleration .. and speed at the end of 50 m)
    2) find potential energy and loss of energy due to friction ...

4. Dec 5, 2009 #3
    Are you saying I need to use both of those approaches, or choose one? I'm a little confused.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook