1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic energy calculation

1. Jan 3, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A boy of 60 kgtakes 5 s to run up the slope in the diagram. (Please refer to the attachment) What is his average kinetic energy?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't know the meaning of 'average' kinetic energy. Is this mean kinetic energy per unit time (per second)? How can I calculate it without knowing the velocity of the boy?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

His average kinetic energy is the energy corresponding to his average speed
  4. Jan 5, 2007 #3
    How can I know the kinetic energy of the boy without knowing the speed?
    My stupid thought was that to use the increase in gravitational potential energy of the boy but I can't get the answer. Why?
  5. Jan 5, 2007 #4

average kintetic energy would come from his average velocity. notice how the distance he went is expressed as a right triangle

try not to look at the answer if you can solve it yourself. i made it white so you must high light it and not see it 'on accident'

[pythagorean theorum tells us the distance he ran was 5 meters and we're given he ran it in 5 seconds, so average velocity is 1 m/s. 1^2 is still 1, and m is 60 so divide it by two and you get 30 N]
  6. Jan 5, 2007 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Assume that he runs up at a constant speed. (Since KE is proportional to speed squared, I think this is an ill-posed problem.)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?