Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Kinetic energy calculation

1. Jan 3, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A boy of 60 kgtakes 5 s to run up the slope in the diagram. (Please refer to the attachment) What is his average kinetic energy?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't know the meaning of 'average' kinetic energy. Is this mean kinetic energy per unit time (per second)? How can I calculate it without knowing the velocity of the boy?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2007 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

His average kinetic energy is the energy corresponding to his average speed

4. Jan 5, 2007 #3
    How can I know the kinetic energy of the boy without knowing the speed?
    My stupid thought was that to use the increase in gravitational potential energy of the boy but I can't get the answer. Why?

5. Jan 5, 2007 #4
    KE=1/2mv^2

average kintetic energy would come from his average velocity. notice how the distance he went is expressed as a right triangle

WARNING: ANSWER BELOW
    try not to look at the answer if you can solve it yourself. i made it white so you must high light it and not see it 'on accident'

[pythagorean theorum tells us the distance he ran was 5 meters and we're given he ran it in 5 seconds, so average velocity is 1 m/s. 1^2 is still 1, and m is 60 so divide it by two and you get 30 N]

6. Jan 5, 2007 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Assume that he runs up at a constant speed. (Since KE is proportional to speed squared, I think this is an ill-posed problem.)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook