• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Kinetic energy calculation

• Thread starter lingling
  • Start date
1. Homework Statement

A boy of 60 kgtakes 5 s to run up the slope in the diagram. (Please refer to the attachment) What is his average kinetic energy?

2. Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know the meaning of 'average' kinetic energy. Is this mean kinetic energy per unit time (per second)? How can I calculate it without knowing the velocity of the boy?

Attachments

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
His average kinetic energy is the energy corresponding to his average speed

How can I know the kinetic energy of the boy without knowing the speed?
My stupid thought was that to use the increase in gravitational potential energy of the boy but I can't get the answer. Why?

KE=1/2mv^2

average kintetic energy would come from his average velocity. notice how the distance he went is expressed as a right triangle

WARNING: ANSWER BELOW
try not to look at the answer if you can solve it yourself. i made it white so you must high light it and not see it 'on accident'

[pythagorean theorum tells us the distance he ran was 5 meters and we're given he ran it in 5 seconds, so average velocity is 1 m/s. 1^2 is still 1, and m is 60 so divide it by two and you get 30 N]

Doc Al

Mentor
How can I know the kinetic energy of the boy without knowing the speed?
Assume that he runs up at a constant speed. (Since KE is proportional to speed squared, I think this is an ill-posed problem.)