1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic Energy Concept

1. Jan 10, 2005 #1
    Hello all

I was just wondering if an object is stationary, how can it still possess kinetic energy? Is it due to the reference frame? Does everthing possess kinetic energy?

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 10, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2005 #2
    any ideas?

4. Jan 10, 2005 #3
    you are right, kinetic energy depends on the reference frame, how? let me show you an example.
    lets say you are in a car which traveling 60mile/hr, and holding a metal ball STATIONARY on your hand, for you, the ball has no kinetics energy, but for me (who standing on the ground), the ball carries a huge kinetics energy, how to prove it? easy, when your car passes by me, throw the ball out and see how much demage the ball will do.....
    conclution: the kinetic energy is depended on the motion of the observer, there are no such thing call absulote kinetic energy,

5. Jan 10, 2005 #4
    thanks a lot

just a test:

[tex] a^{2}+\frac{1}{a^{2}}+2(a+\frac{1}{a})=7 [/tex]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?