Kinetic Energy & Force: Classical Physics

In summary: Sorry Zapper, please bear with a student & not be insulting. It would be better if you could advise...on something more relevant to my question.
pyreof88
Classical physics

Physics news on Phys.org
Im studying fumdamental concepts & looking at the relationship between kinetic energy & force. The ewuations seem similar, f=ma & k=mv²/2. Any input on the definiton of these to fundamental concepts & there relationship would be helpful.

pyreof88 said:
Im studying fumdamental concepts & looking at the relationship between kinetic energy & force. The ewuations seem similar, f=ma & k=mv²/2. Any input on the definiton of these to fundamental concepts & there relationship would be helpful.

I don't think they look similar at all. They are certainly different dimensionally.

If you apply a force F on a mass m, over a distance x, then the amount of work done by that force will be equal to INCREASE in the kinetic energy of the mass. That is a simple illustration of the relationship between "force" and "kinetic energy".

Zz.

Ok, so can i say it is required that a force be exerted on a body on order for it to gain or increase in its kinetic energy?

ZapperZ said:
I don't think they look similar at all. They are certainly different dimensionally.

If you apply a force F on a mass m, over a distance x, then the amount of work done by that force will be equal to INCREASE in the kinetic energy of the mass. That is a simple illustration of the relationship between "force" and "kinetic energy".

Zz.

Left you a line. New to this, so i will excise myself now.

ZapperZ said:

Zz.

Also, if i may inquire for greater understanding, let's consider the physical phenomena of gases that have undergone combustion.
Is it accurate to say, regarding the kinetic energy of these combusted gases, that in the formula k=mv²/2, that the variable m represents the mass of the gas(es), v² equals the square of the velocity of the gas(es), and the variable k is the total kinetic energy of the combusted gas. k, according to the case presented would be of a spontaneous value right? Meaning a total value for a given point on time?

pyreof88 said:
Also, if i may inquire for greater understanding, let's consider the physical phenomena of gases that have undergone combustion.
Is it accurate to say, regarding the kinetic energy of these combusted gases, that in the formula k=mv²/2, that the variable m represents the mass of the gas(es), v² equals the square of the velocity of the gas(es), and the variable k is the total kinetic energy of the combusted gas. k, according to the case presented would be of a spontaneous value right? Meaning a total value for a given point on time?

I have no idea how this relates to your original question.

I think you should not use "gases" as your example, because a gas requires the understanding of the statistical nature of the system, something which I think you still do not grasp yet, i.e. have you learned statistical thermodynamics?. Try to use something simpler! What about the example I gave you? Did you understand that?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:

I think you should not use "gases" as your example, because a gas requires the understanding of the statistical nature of the system, something which I think you still do not grasp yet, i.e. have you learned statistical thermodynamics?. Try to use something simpler! What about the example I gave you? Did you understand that?

Zz.

Yes, but you didnt look at my feedback which verified at least a vague understanding. Kinetic energy is that of a body in motion, this body, given proper circumstances, can exert a force on another body, thus transfering some or all of its kinetic energy.

ZapperZ said:

Zz.

What about marbles on slides/rails? I could test acceleration, kinetic energy, gravitational potential energy & force.

pyreof88 said:
What about marbles on slides/rails? I could test acceleration, kinetic energy, gravitational potential energy & force.

Only if you have learned about rotational energy.

Is there a reason for turning this into a circus?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Only if you have learned about rotational energy.

Is there a reason for turning this into a circus?

Zz.

Sorry Zapper, please bear with a student & not be insulting. It would be better if you could advise me of some productive activities that could aid me in the grasping of these concepts; being that you are so much more enlightened.

pyreof88 said:
Sorry Zapper, please bear with a student & not be insulting. It would be better if you could advise me of some productive activities that could aid me in the grasping of these concepts; being that you are so much more enlightened.

I see where ZZ is coming from. If you want to advance in these things you need to get as simple as possible and not keep adding complication. To get a grasp, you should start with the very few basic formulae and then, if you want to verify them experimentally, it's essential to use the simplest possible models. If you don't do it that way you end up on a divergent path getting nowhere.

Google simple dynamics experiments or terms like that, if you want some ideas. You can then choose something to suit you.

sophiecentaur said:
I see where ZZ is coming from. If you want to advance in these things you need to get as simple as possible and not keep adding complication. To get a grasp, you should start with the very few basic formulae and then, if you want to verify them experimentally, it's essential to use the simplest possible models. If you don't do it that way you end up on a divergent path getting nowhere.

Google simple dynamics experiments or terms like that, if you want some ideas. You can then choose something to suit you.

Thanks, its 'doin me' from here.

pyreof88 said:
Thanks, its 'doin me' from here.

Is that good? :smile:

sophiecentaur said:
Is that good? :smile:

I found a decent textbook to give my studying some discipline. Thanks both of you for the feedback, its been disciplining.

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is dependent on the mass and velocity of the object.

2. How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * mv^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is the velocity.

3. What is the relationship between kinetic energy and force?

Kinetic energy and force are related through Newton's second law of motion, which states that force is equal to mass times acceleration. In other words, the amount of kinetic energy an object has is directly proportional to the force exerted on it.

4. How does kinetic energy change when force is applied?

When a force is applied to an object, it can either increase or decrease its kinetic energy, depending on the direction of the force. If the force is applied in the same direction as the object's motion, the kinetic energy will increase. If the force is applied in the opposite direction, the kinetic energy will decrease.

5. Can kinetic energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, kinetic energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as potential energy or thermal energy. For example, when a moving object hits a stationary object and comes to a stop, its kinetic energy is converted into heat and sound energy.