Calculating Car Speed from Kinetic Energy: A Helpful Guide"

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the speed of a car in km/h using the equation for impact and crush points. The correct calculation for the speed was found to be 28.69 m/s or 103.3 km/h. The importance of properly setting up and solving equations with variables was emphasized. The thread was marked as solved and the person expressed their gratitude for the help received.
Probie

Homework Statement

This is not homework, I am too old for school. I am trying to teach myself accident reconstruction. The equation I have for impact utilizes crush points. The crush points reveals an energy of 479609.6 to crush the car, so what I am trying to figure out is the speed of the car in km/h.. Any help with this is appreciated greatly, thank you.

Is it possible to find km/h from K.E

Homework Equations

I know that KE = .5mv²

let's say the mass = 1165 kg and the K.E = 479609.6

The Attempt at a Solution

411.682 = 479609.6 / 1165

20.289 = sqr (479609.6)

10.144 m/s² = 20.289 / 2

36.532 km/h = 10.144 / .2777

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's better to do the problem with variables, and not substitute values until the end.

start with E = (1/2)mv^2 and solve for v. Then put in the numbers.

I can't really tell what you're calculating here. You never use your first intermediate result, and the end result is wrong.

you need to supply units for the Kinetic Energy. I suppose they are Joules?

Close. Notice the way I worked through the information. You gave yourself a bit of extra work by solving each little piece bit by bit. Somewhere you dropped a number.

K= 479,600 joules (additional digits are insignificant here)
m= 1165 kg

K= .5 mv² v=√(2K/m)
v=√(2•479,000 J/1165 kg)= 28.69 m/s = 103.3 km/h

Thank you very much Chi Meson, I was not even close, man did I make a mess. I really appreciate you pointing me in the right direction. Now that I see how it is done, I will not forget this lesson. Thanks again ~ Probie

This thread can be marked as solved. Thank you very much again Chi Meson. You people are the greatest in the world. Thanks.

1. How do you calculate car speed from kinetic energy?

To calculate car speed from kinetic energy, you can use the formula: Speed = square root of (2 x kinetic energy / mass of the car). This formula takes into account the car's kinetic energy and mass to determine its speed.

2. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion. In the context of a car, it is the energy that the car has due to its speed and mass.

3. Why is it important to calculate car speed from kinetic energy?

Calculating car speed from kinetic energy is important for understanding the potential risk and impact of a moving car. It can also help with determining braking distance and potential damage in the event of a collision.

4. Can the formula for calculating car speed from kinetic energy be used for all types of cars?

Yes, the formula can be used for all types of cars as long as the car's mass and kinetic energy are known. However, it is important to note that this formula does not take into account factors such as air resistance and friction, which may affect the car's speed in real-world situations.

5. Are there any other methods for calculating car speed from kinetic energy?

Yes, there are other methods for calculating car speed from kinetic energy, such as using a physics calculator or performing a physics experiment. However, the formula mentioned in this guide is a simple and efficient way to calculate car speed from kinetic energy.