1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic energy in a u0tube

1. Oct 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A U-tube has vertical arms of radii 'r' and '2r', connected by a horizontal tube of length 'l' whose radius increases linearly from r to 2r. The U-tube contains liquid up to a height 'h' in each arm. The liquid is set oscillating, and at a given instant the liquid in the narrower arm is a distance 'y' above the equilibrium level.

Show that the kinetic energy of a small slice of liquide in the horzional arm is given by

dk= (1/2)ρv2 * (∏r2)dx/ (1+x/l)2 (1)

where v is the velocity
    ρ is denisty
    l is the lengh from the centre of one arm to the centre of the other
    x is the distance the slice is from the middle if the smaller arm

2. Relevant equations

k = 1/2mv2=1/2ρAlv2 (2)

3. The attempt at a solution

So at first I seen the dK and dx and thought to intergrate, but I got a really messy problem so I figured that was it. SO i thought Id prove it bit by bit
    i got that the l in (2) is the 1/(1+x/l)2 from (1) but Im not sure how to go about proving this is the case...

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2012 #2
    The kinetic energy of the small slice is mv^2/2 where m = ρdV

dV = ∏R^2dx

And R = R(x)

Your expression,

dk= (1/2)ρv^2 * (∏r^2)dx/ (1+x/l)^2

Should read,

dk= (1/2)ρv^2 * (∏r^2)dx (1+x/l)^2

With no division symbol?

4. Oct 10, 2012 #3
    it the text it has one

heres a pic of the page

Attached Files:

5. Oct 11, 2012 #4
    Got it now I think. The velocity v is the velocity in the smaller vertical tube. You know that the product of the velocity of the fluid and the cross-sectional area at a point is constant?

Got to go to work, can help afterwards, hopefully someone else can fill in before then.

6. Oct 11, 2012 #5

That. Little was enough! I got it thanks :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook