1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic energy in ballistics

1. Oct 23, 2015 #1
    • Member warned about posting with no effort
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Just a simple question, does Kinnetic enrgy applies to a bullet that has being shot?

2. Relevant equations
    K=1/2 * m * v^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    N/A

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2015 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

What are your thoughts on the matter? Does the bullet have mass? Does it have velocity?

4. Oct 23, 2015 #3
    Yes it has mass, and it has velocity.
    I was reading about Kinetic energy not applies to rotating objects so then I thought it does not apply to flying rotating objects, therefore it does not apply to bullets traveling on our space.

5. Oct 23, 2015 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

There is a distinction between translational kinetic energy and rotational kinetic energy. Perhaps that is what you read about? An object can have both if it is both translating (moving) and rotating.

6. Oct 23, 2015 #5
    Now that enlighten me, I just scanned through the initial part of this article and did not went through all, I got a bit disturbed by the initial statment:
    In classical mechanics, the kinetic energy of a non-rotating object of massm traveling at a speedv is $$ \frac {1}{2} \cdot m \cdot v^2 $$ . From wikipedia.
    This is what little knowledge does to me o:), complete embarrassment.
    Thank you Sir.:biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted