1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic energy of a ball

1. Nov 25, 2009 #1

Alu

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 0.04-kg ball is thrown from the top of a 30-m tall building (point A) at an unknown angle above the horizontal. As shown in the figure, the ball attains a maximum height of 10 m above the top of the building before striking the ground at point B. If air resistance is negligible, what is the value of the kinetic energy of the ball at B minus the kinetic energy of the ball
    at A , that is calculate (K(B) – K(A))?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think K(B)- K(A)=K(B)=mgh is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2009 #2
    K(b)-K(a) = mgh however that doesn't tell you what K(a) is. You assumed K(a) = 0 but how can it be zero if it is moving upward initially?

4. Nov 25, 2009 #3

Alu

yeah right, I assumed that K(a)=0 which is not. But at least we can find K(b) which is equals to mgh where h is 30+10 m

5. Nov 25, 2009 #4
    Err actually if you're just finding the difference in kinetic energy, it's just the change in potential energy so you are correct and you dont need to know K(a). I mean K(a) =/= 0 but it doesn't matter anyways.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  6. Nov 25, 2009 #5

Alu

yeah exactly, which leads to: K(b)-K(a)=mgh where h is only 30m(the difference in potential energy). which is equals to 0.04*10*30=12J

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook